Help a newbie with a diagnosis!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jhd9201, Jan 2, 2015.

1. jhd9201

jhd9201 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    KS
    I noticed a few days ago the roo seemed to be sneezing. I didn't think anything of it, thought was occasional normal sneeze. Until tonight, when I happened to be putting them away. I swear I heard him laboring or wheezing type of breathing. Any ideas and what do I do? If I isolate him, what do I use? Our coop is small. Oh, and I'm pretty sure he has some starting frostbite on his comb. I only say that because I noticed today it's on waddles as well. We bought our coop from a gal in town, she had no issues with any of this.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could bring him inside a basement or garage, even a spare bathroom. Chickens with respiratory infections may need extra heat to keep from chilling. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, and ILT are common respiratory diseases that chickens can get. Some are viruses which have to run their course over a few weeks. An antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectable given either as a shot or given orally can treat bacterial infections, and can help to prevent secondary infections in viral diseases. Dosage is 0.2ml per pound of weight, daily for 3-5 days. Here is a link to read about the common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by