Help! :( A sickness has fallen upon my flock!

MrsCadenhead

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Georgia
I've told the story of Big Papa, the rooster with the thick mouth drainage and runny, sometimes bubbly eyes. The drainage was stinky and his eyes were often crusted over. I treated him with VetRX and ACV and he seemed as good as new for a week, then took a sudden downturn and stayed fluffed up and still for a few days, and his eyes became worse but no thick drainage. Diarrhea developed. No changes in appetite or water intake. Then one afternoon, he was lying on his side with a bloody tinted mucous coming from his mouth and eyes, breathing was very weak. I culled him.

I have three 10 week old pullets kept in a separate pen right next to where the grown flock lives and forages. They can't come into physical contact with one another, but one chick is developing similar symptoms. Drainage from eyes and mouth, eyes sometimes bubbly. Appetite didn't seem to have changed, but she is lifting her head and opening her mouth quite often. Her eyes are staying shut a lot and she has diarrhea. I gave her Tylan 50 this morning, and she is isolated in the newly developed "chickie hospital pen".
Her symptoms seem very much like Big Poppa's did before he died! What can I do for my flock to help be sure that they don't all suffer the same fate? No vets anywhere near us will consider seeing poultry. They live in a 16x16 dirt floor run, so I don't know how I can disinfect or stop the disease..

Does anyone have any idea what it could be, or if there is any hope for my babies? What can i do!? :(

This is my young baby. She's doing the head tilted back thing, and you can see the drainage. Her eyes are mostly staying shut like that.

When you mention 'stinky' my mind goes immediately to Infectious Choryza. Do a search for more information on this disease - Albon used to be the drug of choice for treatment. Actual physical contact is not necessary for transmission.

When you mention 'stinky' my mind goes immediately to Infectious Choryza.  Do a search for more information on this disease - Albon used to be the drug of choice for treatment.  Actual physical contact is not necessary for transmission.

Thank you for your help! :)

When you mention 'stinky' my mind goes immediately to Infectious Choryza. Do a search for more information on this disease - Albon used to be the drug of choice for treatment. Actual physical contact is not necessary for transmission.

That is also what I thought when reading your situation.

Once you get a handle on either treatment or culling I would recommend disinfecting with something strong like Oxine. I would even spray it on the dirt floor- it breaks down into salt so it's safe and no long term worries.

hugs.gif

Please let us know how things go

Trish

Back
Top Bottom