Help - Abandoned Egg - Still peeping

Jubaby

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
West Texas
This is my first experience hatching with a broody hen. She had six eggs and four have hatched. This morning she moved out of the nest box with the baby chicks and is down on the floor of the coop under the heat lamp.

The two remaining eggs were left in the nest box. So I went out a while ago and took the two eggs and was about to dispose of them, when lo and behold - I can hear peeping inside one egg. There is no pip and the eggs are cold. So I ran back outside and put the egg back under the momma on the floor and she rolled it back under her.

Do you think there is a chance that it will hatch now? It has been out from under the hen all day. Is there anything else I can do to save it?

Do you have an incubator to put it in? If it's still alive and the broody will stay on it, then it has a chance, but if she already left the nest she may not stay on it for long.

I have an incubator, but it's not plugged and warm. It would take a few hours to get it up to temp/humidity level. I'll go get it and set it up!

I'll keep checking to see the the momma leaves it again.

Since the others just hatched today she should stay on the eggs you put back under her !!! I would warm the bator up just in case but if she contiunes to sit on them I would let them be !!

Good luck and keep us updated !!

No - I just went back outside and the hen is standing off to the side with the baby chicks. So I grabbed the egg and brought it back into the house. I have it wrapped up in a warm damp washcloth. I just plugged the incubator in. The chick is peeping loudly!

The other chicks all hatched yesterday.

Last edited:
If you hear peeping and it it still hasn't pipped within 24 hours, i would help. i had some eggs i pulled away from two hens, after they tried to kill the first hatchling (new moms apparently did not realize what actually comes out of the eggs). All hatched except for one lone egg. No pip but it was peeping all night. i posted on here asking what to do, and most everyone said to help it out. But by the time i did, it was dead. It was so sad - a fully formed beautiful little Showgirl that was alive just an hour earlier. i waited too long.

If i were you i would get that bator up to speed and put the egg in. If it does not pip by tomorrow morning, i would proceed to help, based on the instructions provided in the sticky at the top of this thread.

Good luck

I can only imagine how confusing it is to be a mama hen with babies peeping at you and eggs peeping, What to do ???

Do you have a heat lamp ??

You could put the eggs on a towel in somthing and put the heat lamp over them (with a bowl of water )

I've had to help a baby out before, but it had already pipped by itself. I didn't know if you could do it if it hasn't pipped yet.

Quote:
Dont help yet !! Get the egg warm with the hum up and see what happens, There might be a reason why she left the eggs. Somtimes hens know things we dont know !!

Back
Top Bottom