Help! Adult hen paralyzed - can’t identify leg wounds

The length of her nails seems to indicate that she has been somewhat lame for quite some time, long before you found her incapacitated. What I mean is, she has been unable to scratch normally to keep them trimmed because she cannot support herself on one foot and scratch with the other. Feel her thigh and leg muscle on the side with the curled toe and compare it to the other leg to see if the muscles on the curled side seem atrophied. I think you're going to need to do some gentle therapy to keep the afflicted leg in good condition by gently flexing and straightening it from hip through toes. Take it slow and easy and don't attempt to straighten everything out right away so you don't tear delicate tissues, it will take time and patience. Good luck with her.

Hello! I need help identifying the issue with my pet chicken’s paralyzed leg; hoping someone recognizes the problem from the attached photos and can advise.

BACKGROUND
Last week I found our sweet Willow lame in her coop. She has lost the use of her left leg entirely. For the last 7 days, I have isolated her in our garage “hospital” attempting various treatments. While her mood and overall health appear stable, her leg is not recovering. I also noticed what appears to be a type of wound, or lesion around her knee hock joint that I’m not familiar with - and her entire leg has more dark spots than I recall being there. The lesions are pitted, slightly swollen, dark in color and there’s some scale bleeding - but that could be from her pecking at it, which I’ve caught her doing. I can’t tell if they’re the cause of the lameness, or a symptom from it.

Bottoms of feet are clean & have no sores or wounds. Scales appear raised, dry and dark, but I’m not familiar with scaly leg mites enough to know if this is the issue. Doesn’t look like my past experience with Bumblefoot. No visible lice - but I know mites can be tricky to always spot! When I talk to her she stands for me, but doesn’t put any weight on her foot. Toes are mostly curled, and she seems genuinely confused and frustrated that she cant

Breed: Whiting True Green hen
Weight: normal
Appetite: normal
Comb: healthy, normal
Environment: Lives in huge coop & enclosed run with her 6 adopted sisters. High quality feed. No fighting. All other hens healthy. Hand raised, vaccinated against Mareks

TREATMENT
- Isolation, comfortable bedding, heat lamp to maintain 80-90 degrees.
- tylan 50 first 2 days, as she felt warm to touch. I’ve not given tylan past 4 days
- electrolytes, Rooster Booster vitamins daily (to ensure it’s not a vitamin deficiency)
- she’s eating lots of wet cat food and scrambled eggs. Appetite is great.
- legs kept clean and dry, and areas of concern sprayed with antibacterial treatment.

today I set up her peck n play tent and have her enjoying some fresh sun, as I got concerned too long in the garage could lead to vitamin d issue. She seems ok other than not able to stand or walk. Issue seems to be from the possible wounds around her hock joint. If anyone recognizes the issue from the photo, I’m desperate for more information.
View attachment 2609245

View attachment 2609247
View attachment 2609249
I know this is an old response but I had a chicken go lame over night, and she bubbled and hopped around for another 5 years. I think she must have had a stroke. Just in case someone searches on chicken lameness. She lived to be 10.

I know this is an old response but I had a chicken go lame over night, and she bubbled and hopped around for another 5 years. I think she must have had a stroke. Just in case someone searches on chicken lameness. She lived to be 10.
Your chicken lost use of a leg and still lived five more years or her leg healed and she continued to live?

Your chicken lost use of a leg and still lived five more years or her leg healed and she continued to live?
She didn't seem able to move it a will . It was very Jerky. she would sort of hop skip etc for the rest of her life.. One leg was fine the other like 25 percent. Yes I thought she was a goner and yes she lived at least another 5 years. Sadly got killed by a hawk. Couldn't run fast.

Back
Top Bottom