Help! Adult hen paralyzed - can’t identify leg wounds

Yeah I just went snd checked the others and everyone else’s nails look short like the photo you shared. Of course, they’re all different breeds, but that’s interesting hers are so long! The enclosed run has lots of levels and ladders. The enclosed run is 12x12 and she’s one of the more active birds. Always jumping up the various roosts and platforms. Maybe she injured it.

She laid an egg the day I found her, but hasn’t laid since. I assumed she was too stressed
Some girls just have a hard time. I have a 7 year old who's beak I have to trim. She's much older then your lady though.
For eggs, you also mentioned that she has been in the dark. Less then 8 hours of sunlight a day will cause hens to stop laying.

If she isn't putting weight on it, it could be a sprain or something she did to it. Are you sure it was the Tylan or the isolation that brought the heat down? Like said above, giving antibiotics for a short period of time isn't going to do anything. You need to do a full cycle, so I think that getting weight off her foot, and chilling out for a few days was what helped the leg.
Agreed. That’s why I stopped. I had a sick chicken a couple years back that made a full recovery with tylan (non injection). I panicked when I found her, and called the old vet, no longer there. New vet said they don’t treat chickens anymore but it “couldn’t hurt” to start her on what I still had in case she had fallen ill. That advice just didn’t feel right, so I stopped the tylan the next day once I realized it seemed related to her foot, and that she otherwise seemed healthy (no breathing issues, no lethargic mood). I have since found a new local vet willing to see her if it reaches the point where her health takes a turn for the worse. But this vet was honest with me that they don’t really treat chickens either, so best they can do is X-rays, fluids, major wound care, and antibiotics if needed :/

Some girls just have a hard time. I have a 7 year old who's beak I have to trim. She's much older then your lady though.
For eggs, you also mentioned that she has been in the dark. Less then 8 hours of sunlight a day will cause hens to stop laying.
The garage has a window, and she’s had a heat lamp, but I kept it mostly dark intentionally to encourage her to stay calm and rest. I figured the break from laying couldn’t hurt, as it’s one less stress. Today was just so beautiful, and the clover has bloomed. She looks so happy in the grass :)

Agreed. That’s why I stopped. I had a sick chicken a couple years back that made a full recovery with tylan (non injection). I panicked when I found her, and called the old vet, no longer there. New vet said they don’t treat chickens anymore but it “couldn’t hurt” to start her on what I still had in case she had fallen ill. That advice just didn’t feel right, so I stopped the tylan the next day once I realized it seemed related to her foot, and that she otherwise seemed healthy (no breathing issues, no lethargic mood). I have since found a new local vet willing to see her if it reaches the point where her health takes a turn for the worse. But this vet was honest with me that they don’t really treat chickens either, so best they can do is X-rays, fluids, major wound care, and antibiotics if needed :/
Got it, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up! :)

The garage has a window, and she’s had a heat lamp, but I kept it mostly dark intentionally to encourage her to stay calm and rest. I figured the break from laying couldn’t hurt, as it’s one less stress. Today was just so beautiful, and the clover has bloomed. She looks so happy in the grass :)
I bet she was so happy! Honestly, she probably doesn't need a that lamp. Especially since its staring to get nice, but we live in completely different areas, so maybe the temp is colder were you are. What is the temp right now?

I bet she was so happy! Honestly, she probably doesn't need a that lamp. Especially since its staring to get nice, but we live in completely different areas, so maybe the temp is colder were you are. What is the temp right now?
The garage has been around 60 - 70 degrees at night. Stays around 80-85 with the lamp (I keep it off her directly). I had always read birds prefer to stay slightly warmer when recovering, but I’m still fairly new to this.

She’s currently in her peck n play eating clover & mealworms, cooing away. Not putting any weight on the leg, but otherwise a happy girl!
A61593AC-501D-47D1-AC1D-1B84EB8DEA10.jpeg

The garage has been around 60 - 70 degrees at night. Stays around 80-85 with the lamp (I keep it off her directly). I had always read birds prefer to stay slightly warmer when recovering, but I’m still fairly new to this.
They do like to be warmer, but 60-70 degrees iw plenty warm enough. A heat lamp will definitely be to hot. I would take that out, she'll be just fine without it.
Glad I can help! :)

Not sure what's going on with the leg but I would take a guess why she's not walking is due to injury. In the photos it looks like the joint was scraped on the front and either cut or punctured on the back. Whether this damaged a tendon or something...I don't know.

I may have missed it in all the posts - can the leg bend much at all or is it stiff?
I would keep the wounds clean and apply triple antibiotic ointment. An antibiotic may be needed to help with infection. Tylan is most commonly used for treating respiratory illness but if you have nothing else or can't get an antibiotic like Amoxicillin, then use what you have. A full course would need to be given.

You can try placing her in a sling to get her up off the ground for periods of time, some tolerate them while others don't. Give her some time and see if she heals.

Back
Top Bottom