HELP! Almost time to kick the girls out of the house, and I'm sad & nervous!

Thank you! Thinking this weekend will be their first night out there. I will lock them up in coop at night, and yes, they have all explored, and as we’ve been working on the coop, they have been hanging out with us and exploring! Do you leave a dim light on in there for the first night or just natural like from little window enough????

I have an outside light that gives a little light at night but they do not like when I shine a flashlight in there to check on them sometimes lol. So I would say you wouldn't need one. When i put mine outside they were older (so many delays getting the coop and run built) so I never locked them in at night, plus working 2nd shift they could go out in the mornings and wait til I got up lol

Perfect -- yes, and I'm sure it can vary from flock to flock and depending on weather and a million other things. Your thoughts on lighting in the coop? will the small window be enough fo them to see inside for the first few nights?
Honestly yes. I believe they will be fine with minimal lighting. I wouldn’t worry too much about going overboard with extra stuff.
someone in another post mentioned this and it’s very true.
Chickens have been doing very well on their own for thousands of years all before we came along and decided we can do things better for them.
Not saying that you aren’t doing a great job, and no offense is meant. Just saying, they will be ok :) they will has things out and you will have some very happy chicks :)
They’re pretty smart birds after all

will the small window be enough fo them to see inside for the first few nights?
Only one small window in the coop makes me wonder if you have enough ventilation.
They don't need a nightlight, but they may squawk some a lot if they are not used to the dark.
They'll get used to it.

Only one small window in the coop makes me wonder if you have enough ventilation.

I agree with Aart, one small window mean you do not have cross ventilation? With chickens heat (esp. + High Humidity) is a big concern. As long as they are out of direct wind during the coldest days and you don't live in Alaska, winter should not be a problem.

Fresh air is so important, if you smell ammonia change the bedding or create more windows.

Your thoughts on lighting in the coop? will the small window be enough fo them to see inside for the first few nights?

Do they have light at night while they are in your house?
If they do, turn it off.
Let them sleep in the dark and get used to it, while you finish the details of the coop.

(If they have never slept in the dark, they will make unhappy sounds for a bit "We can't see! This is scary!" But then they will fall asleep and be fine.)

First everyone gets freaked out about chick's first days/nights out in the coop im a very seasoned chicken owner and i still get freaked out second what i do is put them out in there coop during the day for a week or so but bring them back in at night then after that just leave them out trust me you are more freaked than they are
At what age do you move them out during day ? About what time of day are they out and what is the weather like?

Back
Top Bottom