Help! Ameraucana Hen Lost Part Of Her Toe!

Chrisine-You are welcome! I am glad that your babies are doing so well. I love these little serama buggers so much I am going to have another go at hatching them!

Thanks for the encouragement for Granny's toe. I think she is going to be oaky. She is outside this afternoon. I will be bringing her back in for another night as we are supposed to have more low temps. Don't want to stress her out.

I guess technically she is an Easter Egger and not a true Ameracauna (hm? I am never quite sure what the right spelling is.) Still she is one of the kid's favorites. Okay, mine too.

She lays her eggs in a wrought iron planter that hangs on the wall outside of my kitchen door-talk about delivery service! Papa thinks that may be where she lost her toe.....I'm not brave enough to go looking for it though!

(Doubtless someone else has eaten it by now!)
barnie.gif

Blessings!

Deb

Covenantcreek-Yow! Just thinking about a green leg makes me turn the same color! I am so glad that your quick thinking (and antibiotics) did the trick for her.

So far antibiotic ointment has kept any infection from spreading. I am watching her closely. All of the initial swelling has gone down.

Thanks for posting about your girl.

Deb

Lurky-I guess they are tough critters! Glad to know it though. I was quite worried about our hen. She is doing well inspite of our interference! LOL

Deb

Silkiechicken-Thanks for the reassurance about her reproductive system. I am thinking that stress probably stops the process and she'll start back up when she rejoins the flock.

I miss those olive green eggs!

Deb

Quote:
The last time she ripped off part of her toe was the worst one. I got home from work and saw blood everywhere. So it took a while to find where it was coming from, the dirt caked onto it and it clotted. So i thought i should clean it up for her. BIG MISTAKE!!!! This made it bleed sooooo bad. It seemed like it was never going to stop. I wont interfere again.

Oh Yikes, lotsa blood is never good is it?

It's hard to know what to do. I would have been like you and cleaned it off so it wouldn't get infected. Did your hen's toe stop bleeding on her own or did you have to do something? How long before those amputated toes were healed over?

This reminds me of my dilemma every time I hatch eggs. "Do I help it?" Or, "Do I not?" When I do and the little thing lives I congratulate myself, if it dies, I beat myself up for interfering. (And vow never to do it again!)

But I do.

Getting better about it though!

Deb

Back
Top Bottom