Help and fast!

Aflanders

Chirping
Apr 3, 2019
So last Saturday went to a chicken swap and pick up 4 babies 2 are 3 months and 2 are 2.5 months. The 2.5 month olds are vaccinated but not the 3 month olds. Housed in quarintine together from the rest of my flock but my flock can see them. Well yesterday I thought i saw blood in the poop of one of the babies but not sure so blew it off. Today one of the babies (not sure which one) definitely has diarrhea and streaks of blood. Also noticed the 3 month olds have mite. Help what do I do? Do I need to treat all my chickens or just the babies? Omg flipping out here!

As previously mentioned, how far apart are they housed? Have you been going between coops with the same clothing and shoes?
The bloody droppings is likely coccidiosis. Can you buy Corid?(durvet-lamb-and-kid-omega-3-plus) Hope this link works.
Dosage for Corid is 2 tsp per gallon of water for a week. Replace water daily.

So last Saturday went to a chicken swap and pick up 4 babies 2 are 3 months and 2 are 2.5 months. The 2.5 month olds are vaccinated but not the 3 month olds. Housed in quarintine together from the rest of my flock but my flock can see them. Well yesterday I thought i saw blood in the poop of one of the babies but not sure so blew it off. Today one of the babies (not sure which one) definitely has diarrhea and streaks of blood. Also noticed the 3 month olds have mite. Help what do I do? Do I need to treat all my chickens or just the babies? Omg flipping out here!
Treat all new ones for the mites and be checking yours frequently. Use permethrin 10-13% spray on their housing roost coop and run unless you are all organic and then if you are I can’t help you. Could have been their housing. I would treat all new ones that were not vaccinated for Coccidia-I’m assuming with Corid. You may need to go ahead and treat all of them. Ask. @Wyorp Rock and she can set you straight on what to do. She will be on later tonight. Good luck. I will tell you this. Go ahead and get some Corid at the feed store and do not give them Nutridrench with it while giving them the Corid. The two together are not beneficial. It’s the thiamine component. It’s a long story. Just don’t mix the two if this comes up for now from someone else. Good luck and I hope they get better soon.

I haven't been changing clothes as I did not think there was an issue. Do I need to treat them all (existing flock and new ones) with corid?
If they have been in the same run I would. Eating from same ground or same pooped on or walked on areas then yes. And you need to clean out all their old bedding and replace it with new after you get rid of that old bedding and old waste. It’s going to be a job

I haven't been changing clothes as I did not think there was an issue. Do I need to treat them all (existing flock and new ones) with corid?
I meant mainly for mites. I would treat them all for mites/lice just in case. The permethrin recommended in the previous posts is best.
If they haven’t been in the same coop, and no droppings got tracked into the existing flock’s run, there’s a chance they don’t have coccidiosis. It would hurt to treat in case though.

I meant mainly for mites. I would treat them all for mites/lice just in case. The permethrin recommended in the previous posts is best.
If they haven’t been in the same coop, and no droppings got tracked into the existing flock’s run, there’s a chance they don’t have coccidiosis. It would hurt to treat in case though.
So it would hurt or no? Sorry I'm confused. No egg layers yet so no questions about eggs

If you are seeing blood, then yes. Treat all the newbies with the Corid.

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

If you are seeing lice/mites, then treat with permethrin as suggested in Post#4

You mention some were vaccinated - what for? Marek's?

Back
Top Bottom