1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP anitbiotics given by accident

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by schmoo, Aug 9, 2007.

1. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I've been using the same feed since day one and when I got it I read the bag and checked ingredients VERY carefully. It was medicated chick starter with only amprolium.

Now yesterday I use the last of one of my bags and go to throw the bag out and something catches my eye.......a tiny tag on the bottom -IT WAS TURKEY FEED!! The bags look exactly the same, but the ing. are different, in the turkey feed there is Bacitracin and thats NOT good. (now I see that maybe the loose stools weren't from too many greens) :mad: The feed store gave me the wrong kind and it never occured to me to check each bag - so I don't know how long this has been going on.

So my girls are are almost 14 weeks and I am wondering how this will affect them. How long will I have to wait to eat their eggs? (when they begin to lay)

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I dont think you will have to worry about them....I mena, turkey feed is a high protiene feed...that could be the cause of the stool loosness. As far as the eggs...your pullets are still young, and anything in thier system will be long gone by the time they lay.

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    As with amprolium,bacitracin has 0 days withdrawal time. It is completly safe

4. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    "loose stools"

If you are still concerned with this problem you could always sprinkle some dry oat meal on the ground as a snack Mine love ROLLED OATS as a treat. Just don't over do it.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Totally agreed. They will be fine! [​IMG]

6. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Whew, thanks guys! Just to be safe I switched to purina start and grow that has only the amprolium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by