Help! Ants in my incubator!

I work on swimming pools professionally and one of the biggest causes of failed equipment, especially mechanical timers and switches, is ants. All it takes is for one to be inside of a solenoid when it clicks on, it fries the ant, and keeps the contractors from making a good connection (which could keep your equipment stuck on or off).

A former co-worker and I tried using different professional insect killing sprays, blocks, and traps, but we found that cinnamon works the best, and for the longest time too. It's also not really toxic, which is awesome. Putting some cinnamon sticks, or powder, inside of the control units kept bugs out for years. Cinnamon extract in the dropper bottles works well too, and can be used to lightly wipe surfaces to keep ants away.

I would remove that plant from your home, and water it with some cinnamon oil diluted in water, or water and cinnamon powder, away from your house, the ants will leave almost immediately, just make sure they're far away from anywhere you want an ant colony to move in. Then lightly wipe the outside surfaces of the incubator with cinnamon, after cleaning it well. That will prevent any ants that might still be around from coming back.

I work on swimming pools professionally and one of the biggest causes of failed equipment, especially mechanical timers and switches, is ants. All it takes is for one to be inside of a solenoid when it clicks on, it fries the ant, and keeps the contractors from making a good connection (which could keep your equipment stuck on or off).

A former co-worker and I tried using different professional insect killing sprays, blocks, and traps, but we found that cinnamon works the best, and for the longest time too. It's also not really toxic, which is awesome. Putting some cinnamon sticks, or powder, inside of the control units kept bugs out for years. Cinnamon extract in the dropper bottles works well too, and can be used to lightly wipe surfaces to keep ants away.

I would remove that plant from your home, and water it with some cinnamon oil diluted in water, or water and cinnamon powder, away from your house, the ants will leave almost immediately, just make sure they're far away from anywhere you want an ant colony to move in. Then lightly wipe the outside surfaces of the incubator with cinnamon, after cleaning it well. That will prevent any ants that might still be around from coming back.
Thank you so much for this awesome advice!! I had made a makeshift ant trap but just added cinnamon to it and omg the ants immediately hated it. The plant is already outside, and it was a bit of an on the way out kinda plant anyway lol (been really struggling to keep it alive). An awesome non-toxic method too, since I've got curious cats around. Thank you again!!

My incubator is full with 5 days left til hatch. This morning it seems that small black ants have taken residence in a nearby plant and then into the water of the incubator. I can see several on the walls.

Do I open it and clean it all out or will I ruin the hatch??
what i would do is clean out the incubator and relocate the plant. place some food and water near that plant so thats the focus for the ants.

That is really interesting about the cinnamon! I’m going to test that out too. Like I said, the spray is good but if cinnamon works I’d switch to that in a heartbeat.

That’s wild they are still trying to get in even after you moved the incubator! Tenacious things!

Thank you! We've had this problem a lot with the well pump.

OP, it sounds like you've already got it handled.
But I was coming here to say "Ahhhh! Danger!" because we lost chicks under a broody years ago from ants. We had no idea they would be a problem and didn't notice until it was too late (since she was sitting on them). Even those that didn't hatch but had just pipped 😭

Thank you! We've had this problem a lot with the well pump.

OP, it sounds like you've already got it handled.
But I was coming here to say "Ahhhh! Danger!" because we lost chicks under a broody years ago from ants. We had no idea they would be a problem and didn't notice until it was too late (since she was sitting on them). Even those that didn't hatch but had just pipped 😭
Oh no! I'm so sorry you had that happen!!

Today it looks like the ants have vacated so hopefully the rest of the hatch goes off without a hitch 🤞

Back
Top Bottom