Help! Any ideas? Rooster issue

Abbkayx

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
Hi!

So my rooster has been doing this weird thing for about a month maybe two. He lowers his head and then sort of spins in a circle, raises one leg and puts one wing out and does the spin. I originally thought he might have an issues with one of his feet but I’ve checked him all over and there is nothing. Do chickens have seizures? See the video below. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on? Other than this he is perfectly healthy and normal, eats great no other issues.

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
That's the mating dance. He's asking the hen if she is willing. By not squatting she is saying no. This might help you.

Typical mating behavior between mature consenting adults.

The rooster dances for a specific hen. He lowers one wing and sort of circles her. This signals his intent.

The hen squats. This gets her body onto the ground so the rooster’s weight goes into the ground through her entire body and not just her legs. That way she can support a much heavier rooster without hurting her legs.

The rooster hops on and grabs the back of her head. The head grab helps him get in the right position to hit the target and helps him to keep his balance, but its major purpose is to tell the hen to raise her tail out of the way to expose the target. A mating will not be successful if she does not raise her tail and expose the target. The head grab is necessary.

The rooster touches vents and hops off. This may be over in the blink of an eye or it may take a few seconds. But when this is over the rooster’s part is done.

The hen then stands up, fluffs up, and shakes. This fluffy shake gets the sperm into a special container inside the hen near where the egg starts its internal journey through her internal egg making factory.

Abbkayx

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
That's the mating dance. He's asking the hen if she is willing. By not squatting she is saying no. This might help you.

Typical mating behavior between mature consenting adults.

The rooster dances for a specific hen. He lowers one wing and sort of circles her. This signals his intent.

The hen squats. This gets her body onto the ground so the rooster’s weight goes into the ground through her entire body and not just her legs. That way she can support a much heavier rooster without hurting her legs.

The rooster hops on and grabs the back of her head. The head grab helps him get in the right position to hit the target and helps him to keep his balance, but its major purpose is to tell the hen to raise her tail out of the way to expose the target. A mating will not be successful if she does not raise her tail and expose the target. The head grab is necessary.

The rooster touches vents and hops off. This may be over in the blink of an eye or it may take a few seconds. But when this is over the rooster’s part is done.

The hen then stands up, fluffs up, and shakes. This fluffy shake gets the sperm into a special container inside the hen near where the egg starts its internal journey through her internal egg making factory.

OMG!!! Lol thank you so much. I feel so silly that I didn’t know this. Haha oops, well now I know! I have been so worried about him and come to find out this is what he’s doing. I feel a little dumb lol. Thank you again! :)!

Hen Pen Jem

Crowing
Sep 19, 2017
Southern California
Greetings Abbkayx,

Don't feel silly, you observed just one of many chicken communications. You will hear and see all kinds of vocalizations and behaviors that will tell you many things. Soon your chickens will tell you when they are sick, when they are afraid, happy, grieving etc.

It's similar to when someone stays in a foreign country for a long time. Eventually, they learn the terrain, and even the language! It will benefit the chickens if the keeper learns their language.

Ridgerunner gave you a good description of why roosters dance. But, their are other reasons too. The dance shows a roosters dominance, over the females, and sometimes even other roosters, and even people. I've even seen my rooster dance around my dog and cats! And roosters aren't the only gender to tap dance. An alpha hen can also do the dance, showing dominance over other hens in the flock.

Chickens are so amazing, there is so much to learn!

dancing roo 2.gif

I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!

So my rooster has been doing this weird thing for about a month maybe two. He lowers his head and then sort of spins in a circle, raises one leg and puts one wing out and does the spin. I originally thought he might have an issues with one of his feet but I’ve checked him all over and there is nothing. Do chickens have seizures? See the video below. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on? Other than this he is perfectly healthy and normal, eats great no other issues.

He's courting his girl! Nice boy!
She should be more impressed, the little diva.

Abbkayx

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
Lol I love all the comments, seriously I feel a little dumb. :lol: But so glad to know he’s normal and well!

I think all of my hens are little divas because they never submit to him lol.

Thank you again for all of your guys help! :):love

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
Never feel dumb about asking a question. We all have to start somewhere. There is no telling how many other people learned from your question. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Wouldn't you really feel dumb if you did not ask and something bad happened?

Don't ever worry about asking something that's been asked before either. The search function on here is not great but a bigger problem is that you don't always know how to frame your search to find the answer for your unique situation. Besides repeat questions keep the forum active plus are usually easier to answer. Try searching but if you don't find the answer ask.

Top Bottom