Help??? Anyone ever used egg cartons inside and "turned" or "propped" the whole bator for turning?

the4heathernsmom

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
east texas
How about putting eggs in egg cartons inside the bator if you dont use a turner? instead of opening and hand turning eggs and losing your temps each time how about propping up each corner of the bator and rotate 4x a day each corner for the "turning"? Anyone had any success or tried this? pros? cons? dont want to use egg turner but dont want to lower temps hand turning several times a day

No one has ever tried this?
idunno.gif

I know I've seen it done here quite a few times.

I rigged up an egg turner sort of how you mentioned. I cut the bottoms out of the carton a little bit (for maximum air flow), and then glued a pvc pipe on the bottom of the carton. That way, turning them was really, really easy.

I can't vouch for how well it works though. The incubator I was using it in jumped to 105 or so for a few hours and cooked the chicks. I opened them up after I confirmed they were all dead, and I had a few developing, so...

Thats how I do it. In my HovaBator 1588 I can fit 60+ eggs in cartons. I just tilt the entire bator twice a day. I just had a 100% hatch on my home layed eggs. Just make sure the top stays on tight and doesn't get knocked off a bit. I like not having to open the bator 2 or more times a day messing with the temps.

I know I've seen it done here quite a few times.

I rigged up an egg turner sort of how you mentioned. I cut the bottoms out of the carton a little bit (for maximum air flow), and then glued a pvc pipe on the bottom of the carton. That way, turning them was really, really easy.

I can't vouch for how well it works though. The incubator I was using it in jumped to 105 or so for a few hours and cooked the chicks. I opened them up after I confirmed they were all dead, and I had a few developing, so...

Sphinx, That is a cool idea.

I wonder why you couldn't cut a piece of PVC in half and glue it on the bottom of an incubator to tip it back and forth too. You could right even and odd on the sides so on odd days that side was up and on even days the other side was up ....or down, lol

Well I am doing it like this now to keep the air cell upright and "turning" the whole bater rather than opening it and losing my heat and temp since it is cold here right now. I just have a bowl and several times a day I change corners .

That's exactly how the Brinsea Octagon20 incubators work - you tilt the whole unit. If you have the auto-turner for it, it's a cradle in which the unit rests (or is suspended) and slowly turned from side to side. That way you can keep your eggs in egg cartons or other little "batches" and they're turned without the 'bator being opened.

How about putting eggs in egg cartons inside the bator if you dont use a turner? instead of opening and hand turning eggs and losing your temps each time how about propping up each corner of the bator and rotate 4x a day each corner for the "turning"? Anyone had any success or tried this? pros? cons? dont want to use egg turner but dont want to lower temps hand turning several times a day

This will work with incubators with a fan (forced air) but not with still air incubators.

Back
Top Bottom