help appreciated

Lonnie68

Hatching
Mar 13, 2015
This little one hatched this morning from some eggs that we were given. The supplier of the eggs isn't sure what they have as far as chickens. Two of our chicks have what appears to be a comb,the others don't. Any guesses to the breed? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sorry, no relevant guesses as to the breed, I keep mutts myself and you can get any combination of colors and types out of them. Many you could pass off as being of this or that breed but they're many generations removed from pure anythings. Some have over 20 different breeds mingled in their recent ancestry and that's just what I know about LOL.

As a general rule, if you're not sure what breed it is, assume it's not a breed at all, because chances are it isn't. People that keep purebreds and breed pure tend to be pretty strict about things and you'd know what the chicks are, not be told the breeder isn't sure.

The person who bred the chicks is best able to answer your questions. If they don't know, but can provide photos of the chooks in question, you may at least get some answers of what obvious genetics are present which can help you predict what you will get if you breed them... Maybe.

Looks like maybe a coral comb to be so wide at such a young age? Almost certainly a male whatever it is, to have such an obvious comb so young. The others you have I would guess are perhaps peacombed or single combed, since they are so small in that department.

It's a blurry pic, but with that combination of what appears to be a possible coral comb, the red brows, black body, white breast/belly, and dun colored cheeks, I expect he will be one handsome rooster. (If it's a he, which I think it is, and he's most likely split for multiple colors so could produce a wide spectrum of offspring colors).

Best wishes.

x2 on the mixed breed information. Those who breed pure breeds KNOW what they've got and are proud to announce that to their customers who buy their eggs as they work so hard to get the correct breed conformation.

Those who keep chickens and just let them be chickens and produce chicks have barnyard mixes...and as that goes on year to year the genetics are pretty mixed.

I like my barnyard mixes as they overall are hardy, develop well, and the hens lay nicely. But the color combinations and physical characteristics will leave you guessing until the final adult feathering. I've had them change substantially from molt to molt as they grow.

I don't worry about peachy color in my barnyards as I find my barnyard females tend to grow pretty quickly, but if you see red and large early on, that will be a roo.

LofMc

Sorry, no relevant guesses as to the breed, I keep mutts myself and you can get any combination of colors and types out of them. Many you could pass off as being of this or that breed but they're many generations removed from pure anythings. Some have over 20 different breeds mingled in their recent ancestry and that's just what I know about LOL.

As a general rule, if you're not sure what breed it is, assume it's not a breed at all, because chances are it isn't. People that keep purebreds and breed pure tend to be pretty strict about things and you'd know what the chicks are, not be told the breeder isn't sure.

The person who bred the chicks is best able to answer your questions. If they don't know, but can provide photos of the chooks in question, you may at least get some answers of what obvious genetics are present which can help you predict what you will get if you breed them... Maybe.

Looks like maybe a coral comb to be so wide at such a young age? Almost certainly a male whatever it is, to have such an obvious comb so young. The others you have I would guess are perhaps peacombed or single combed, since they are so small in that department.

It's a blurry pic, but with that combination of what appears to be a possible coral comb, the red brows, black body, white breast/belly, and dun colored cheeks, I expect he will be one handsome rooster. (If it's a he, which I think it is, and he's most likely split for multiple colors so could produce a wide spectrum of offspring colors).

Best wishes.
x3

Back
Top Bottom