1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP are my chickens crop bound!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by macka, Dec 13, 2011.

1. macka

macka New Egg

Dec 4, 2011
    they are brown shavers 25 weeks old there are two of them are they both have big ball like shapes on there chest i felt them and they are relly hard the balls are about the size of a big golf ball they are on layer pellets and they have grit they are semi free rang and i only spotted the balls last night and there behaviour has not changed any one got any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    Hi
    It sounds like they just ate a lot! My chickens do that sometimes too, they eat so much that you can actually see the crop bulging out from the side. I wouldn't worry about them until you notice a change in their behavior or they stop eating, drinking, etc. [​IMG]

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Hey Macka, welcome to BYC.

I agree with mallory, when they eat their crop will get full and huge which isn't an
    issue. It's when it stays like this with-out emptying over night is when you should
    worry. This morning before they eat anything you should check the crop, if it's still
    rock hard it may actually be impacted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by