Help! Are these REALLY Call Duck eggs? They seem too big

fancbrd4me02

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2009
San Diego, California
I have never raised call ducks. Bought some call duck eggs and they came in the mail today. Am I wrong to wonder if they are really pure call duck eggs? The thing is, some are as big as large chicken eggs. Some are green and some are cream colored. The smallest eggs (cream colored) are the size of large bantam chicken eggs, but most of the eggs are green and range from small/medium standard chicken egg size to large chicken egg size. Call duck experts, your opinions please.

The eggs pictured below are all the "call duck eggs" EXCEPT for the two white and two brown eggs in the back row. Those are some medium and large chicken eggs of mine for comparison. (from Large Fowl chickens)

44581_img_3238.jpg

Last edited:
To me, they look completely normal. I have a couple Call hens and they are laying eggs the same color- some greenish and some more creamy. One of them is laying eggs about the size of a medium chicken egg and the other one the size of a large- to extra-large chicken egg and they are both TINY little Calls. That is fairly consistent with what my other bantam ducks lay. Their eggs are sometimes larger than the largest chicken eggs and again, vary in shade from off-white to green. In addition to the Calls, I have and have had probably about fifty other bantam hens, so it is a fairly decent number to base my observations on (Mini Appleyards, Australian Spotteds, Mallards, etc..).

When I got my first Call egg (that was yesterday... I am definitely not an expert!) I was floored by how big it was! Much larger than my bantam chicken eggs, about the size of a medium chicken egg, but from a wee little duck! Just 2 cents from a newbie.
smile.png

Congrats on your eggs- hope you get a bunch of adorable ducklings!

Well, Runners lay HUGE eggs for such skinny little ducks. The fact that call ducks lay such large eggs for their size doesn't surprise me.

Those are normal sized Call duck eggs. I would be more concerned with eggs that are too small. With both chickens and ducks I never send out eggs from birds that are new to laying.

Good luck with your hatch!

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom