Help ASAP: Egg Emergency

ccsslb

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
I just received my latest order of hatching eggs and 14 out of 20 were smashed due to REALLY bad packaging. The 8 that appear to be intact are covered in the goo from all of the smashed eggs. This is now drying and has to be blocking all of the pores like a thin layer of glue. I've always been told to NEVER wash hatching eggs. Should I try to wash these few or am I just wasting my time and electricity even trying to hatch these out?

I'd wash and try it. I have had some like that and still hatched the good ones, but I wiped the excess goo off with a damp cloth. I'd also let the shipper know how horrible their packaging was!

Yes I would at this point, what do you have to loose? I would try to wipe off the most of the yolk with a wet towel or sponge first. Then if you need to I would then rince them in cool water and dry right after. Deffinatly tell the breeder what happened to your package. Good luck!

I would take the chance. Wash as quickly and lightly as possible, no soap and lukewarm water. No soaking. Wipe off what you can first.

Be sure to contact the seller- take pics first! Seller needs to ship more eggs, properly packaged and at no charge to you. If seller is uncooperative, be sure to leave feedback and let people know.

I had the same thing happen only I somehow didnt get all of the goo off. When I went to candle at day 10 it was stuck...and I mean STUCK to the egg turner.

There actually was a guy on here that done an experiment on hatching cleaned eggs with iodine or uncleaned eggs in a bator and both had the same hatch rate. I know we cleaned Emu eggs wiht tekvek (iodine like solution) and it had no affect on the hatch rate either and never got a stink egg. I would wash them with water that is warmer than the egg, using the palms of my hands under running water to clean them off. You want to use warmer water b/c if it is colder than the egg, it causes the poors to open and pull in some of the junk you are trying to wash off. Either way try it at this point you have nothing to loose and I would definitely contact the seller, I had the same thing and they are sending more eggs for no cost!

Washing shouldnt hurt. I have ducks in with my chickens (probly not the best i know but in process of making a new pen) and the eggs are always messy because of them so I washed 4 bantam eggs and 5 duck eggs in water and SOAP and my hatch rate was 3/4 chicken eggs hatched (last one died in shell) and 5/5 duck eggs

Hummmm, I have no idea that I am not supposed to wash the eggs right before setting. I set the eggs for the first time 11 days ago. The local guy who sold me the eggs told me to wash the eggs in 100-110 degree water before putting them in the bator. Out of 18 eggs, 10-12 eggs look good so far. Was it a mistake? I opened the 6 bad eggs at day 10, 4 eggs without any sign of development, 1 egg with a single very small vein in the yolk, 1 egg with a dead embryo surrounded by a blood ring. Now I am confused.

Back
Top Bottom