HELP ASAP! Hen escaping daily!

chickarita

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Central Massachusetts
We have a Buff Orp who has been escaping from our yard daily. We think she's squeezing through our neighbor's deck slats so clipping her wings won't help I don't think? We can't find a nest anywhere and she's not going to the same "spot" all the time. My neighbor has been very patient with her but I have to imagine that will wear off. (We live in a suburban neighborhood where the houses are close.)
HOW do I keep her here?? We are leaving for vacation in a few days and I'm worried she'll disappear and the housesitter won't be able to find her.

Would your neighbour mind if you fit some kind of mesh over the deck slats to keep her in? It's that or keep her cooped up in a run.

Ugh. She got out several times over the week. AND she taught her friends how to do it! My neighbor is awesome and latticed his deck slats. But today they got out again! Will clipping help if they aren't really "flying"? What about something like fox urine scent?

You really need to find out how she is escaping. Are you sure she is squeezing through the fence and not going over it? I've had hens go over fences in stages.

I would confine them while you are on vacation. Build a temporary run or leave them in the coop, just to make it easier on your house sitter and to keep you from worrying.

Back
Top Bottom