HELP ASAP! Hen may have a pneumo

Yes, I'm a trauma nurse, but I'm finding chickens can be quite different than humans so I'm learning lol. She seems to be eating well, I try to feed her some snacks (like fly larvae for extra protein) throughout the day just to make sure I physically see her eat something. She isn't pooping much, but I think her intake is down. She also hasn't laid in a few days, but I'm guessing that could be due to stress?
I've got nothing to add in wound care, you are getting excellent advice from posters whose experience is easily several hundred fold my own. I will offer a bit of encouragement (though no guarantees). Our little dinosaurs can survive some crazy wounds with only marginally competent care (from my own limited experience), particularly if you are able to stave off infection - as currently seems to be the case. I've high hopes for a positive outcome here.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm a trauma nurse, but I'm finding chickens can be quite different than humans so I'm learning lol. She seems to be eating well, I try to feed her some snacks (like fly larvae for extra protein) throughout the day just to make sure I physically see her eat something. She isn't pooping much, but I think her intake is down. She also hasn't laid in a few days, but I'm guessing that could be due to stress?
I'm sure you're right about the stress. Seems she is in very good hands. Fellow nurse here, ED and cardiology NP. 😉

Ok friends. Now we're to the point where the wound is healing well but there's a lot of necrotic tissue I don't know what to do with. Any ideas short of debridement?

Tonight I tried putting some xeroform on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210710-210406_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210710-210406_Gallery.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom