Help ASAP! WHat is up with these ducklings?!?!?!?!

Goatwalker,
I am a former Marine and becoming a Marine will in the long run soften your heart even more to suffering. I would have a very hard time culling ducklings but I am the man of my house and if the situation came up it would be up to me. I feel for you, this is a difficult situation that is going to require good objective judgement on your part. You have recieved some very good advice on the technicals in this thread. In the end you are the one who has to make these decisions. Make the decisions and never question yourself on them, you are acting in good faith for the best interest of these creatures.

Best wishes

Quote:
x's 2. You are the only one who can judge what needs to be done. Trust yourself to do it, rather "it" means commiting to extensive care, or putting them out of their missery. I think we are all stronger than we think, esspecially when faced with the needs of those we have chosen to put under our care. And he's right, don't question it. Not for one minute.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I'm on the Poly Vi Sol without iron bandwagon too...me, I dip their bills into it and let them take it in that way...usually they will at least peep and get some in their bills. Good luck!

Quote:
Cetawin, I certainly disagree with you. I have seen the vitamins work miracles on what I would have thought were hopeless cases. One of my best ducks and personal pets spent three days hatching and three days in my own intensive care before she was able to get off her back and stand on her own, and I credit those vitamins with giving her what she needed. (I have at least one other large duck breeder who is giving them a run now on my recommendation.) She is a farm and show favorite for our place here. I think if Goat Walker wants to give it a try, she should...nothing ventured, nothing gained. Plus, we all stand to learn something from it, and if these ducks do have to die, then it will not have been in vain. Culling/killing them off the bat teaches no one anything. Others' ducks could benefit from what she finds out.

Good luck, Goat Walker! Here is "Nano", post recovery at under a week old:
43338_nano3.jpg

She was also Best of Variety Blue Fawn at Top of Ohio, and the judge commented to me afterward that he felt she could hold her own up against almost any blue fawn Calls he has seen. No current pictures...I really do need to get some taken. She is one of my two favorites here.

Last edited:
Quote:
That is reasonable.

I agree, mainly because the yolk they absorbed is only going to last about 48-72 hours. The duckling I mentioned above finally got out of the woods on day 3, the morning I was going to have to cull her. She was on her feet and ready for action. So 3 days is my deadline where I want to see improvement by.

I know im being mean and selfish by wanting them to live - and there are now four. Three arent that bad and are eating and drinking well if I untangle their necks for them at first. The little black on isnt doing good though. I almost wished he had died in the night because it would have been easier for ME. But I now have four little ducklings - and im off to the store for some vitamins. Thank you guys all SO much! I know I need to do whats right for the ducklings, and im just hoping this day ends well for everything.

Dont get me wrong by the way - I kill snakes with hedge clippers all the tiem and have no problem with shooting a dog in the head if it gets into my ducks. But these are my babies.

hugs.gif
You are in a rough place. We raise meat birds, so I am accustomed to doing this. It was hard at first. I am sure if you must cull, you'll know when. I would because they do look like they are suffering. But that is me, and those are your ducks. I really hope the vitamins work, though. If it does let us know.

Quote:
Goat_walker I'm glad you can admit your doing it for you
tongue.png
I'm the same way I want to give them a chance and I don't want to have to make that kind of decision - but I always look at it like this : They are innocent babies that *I* let be brought into this world and so it is on my shoulders instead of mother nature and the food chain to make sure if they can't thrive and are suffering to put them out of their misery if its needed.

Try the vitamins but if the little black one can't eat or drink on its own by this evening the only kind thing to do is end its suffering. If its still twisted (and the picture it looks like its legs are in odd angles or deformed) - then its not going to be able to live a REAL life - I've seen ducks with horribly wry necks that were born that way and they couldn't be with other ducks because they couldn't defend themselves females are in no shape to be bred and they can't clean their nares or swim. What kind of life is that for a duck? Besides 48-72 hours like a previous poster said the yolk is finished absorbing and theres nothing sustaining them and if it can't eat - its going to starve to death.
sad.png

Be strong, take care and do whats right for the baby. Just know that you aren't being mean or evil or what not - you are allowing that baby a fast death instead of a slow suffering one. Me myself would feel 100X more horrible letting something suffer for my own gain, and you are the kind of person I think you'd be the same way.

Again I hope for the best and I wish the babies do well. Take care, good luck, and many hugs.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom