Help ASAP!

Josh45640

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
SE Ohio
This is my first attempt at hatching quail. I didn't think they were due until the 12th but they're hatching now! They are in the turner, should I let them hatch this way or risk it by taking it out and putting the remaining eggs on the wire? I haven't even got a chance to add some humidity for the hatch because I was gonna do that in the morning when I locked them down. I have unplugged the turner, but Thisbe it. Help!

I would move them to the hatcher if it was me. Some may say not to but that's what I would do. And I would do it as fast and carefully as possible.
I always have some eggs hatch out early and late. Other words it's always taken several days for them to hatch. There is usually a day where they are popping out like popcorn.
When I go a day without an egg hatching I candle them. Normally they have died before hatching for numerous reasons. If they have leg problems they may pip but not zip out because they can't turn in the egg. I have 2 LG's for bators so thats why I suppose that happens. Keeping the temps and especially humidity stable is impossible, for me anyway. Winter is always hardest for me.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks. I had my wife help me transfer them from the turner to the hatcher so we could work faster. I had 77 eggs and so far I have 7 babies out and 13 more pipped. I hope these make it. I've had a lot of people wanting to buy them .

That's what I wanted to do, but I have the hovabator yellow turner with the holes inn the bottom of the cups. They were getting stuck innthe holes upside down and they were crawling under the turner and getting stuck. So far they all still seem to be doing ok. Thanks for the help!

well i pulled the first batch out of the bator to give room for the rest. There is around 30 so far. I put them in a box with a heat lamp just like I would with chickens. I put the water in a pickle jar lid and sprinkled the feed on the floor for now. Once they figure the fod out, Ill put it in a jar lid as well. When can I start selling them? I have several people wanting chicks, but can I let these go as day olds like chickens or do they need a little extra TLC before they go anywhere? They all look healthy. SOme of them look like they might be having trouble getting their footing on the paper towels.

Paper towels are too slick. Put down some bedding or a towel. You can sell them as soon as you want.
smile.png

Got it. One of the little guys looks like he is doing the splits. I cant tell if he is spradled or if he just hasnt figured out how to work his legs yet. Is this a common problem with cotornix? I had one die on me, but I think I had it too hot. I turned the heat lamp off for now and they all seem to be doing fine. I had a couple that decided to go swimming and got all soaked. I put them back in the incubator to dry off.

Back
Top Bottom