HELP!!! Ataxic Rooster...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jacksilky, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Jacksilky

Jacksilky New Egg

Jan 26, 2011
    I have a Silky rooster that we rescued from a large metropolitan animal shelter two years ago. We have no idea how hold he is. He has been litereally "the cock of he walk" for the last two years, breeding all of our hens, big and little. The last 3 days he has been unable to stand, mostly having one leg stiffly outstretched and one that he can push himself around with. He is eating and drinking normally when we put him in front of food and water. He has been absolutely normal until a few days ago as have all of his get that we have hatched. Not knowing his previous history, who knows what he has been exposed to. I do not feel any broken bones or dislocated joints. I am a Vet Tech and will take him for xrays, but I don't expect to find anything abnormal. I really don't want to put this fiesty guy to sleep, but I don't want him to suffer. Any ideas?????

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    So it's his leg/foot? It might be bumble foot- It's an infection that causes swelling and inflamination, it's hard to get rid of (That's what my book says I'm reading it..) the hock joint might swell with fluid... hope this helps.. [​IMG] I wish you luck!!!

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Did you have the X-Rays done yet? What happened?

4. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Mareks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by