Help! Baby bird and nest found when tree felled!

UrbanFarmOC

Songster
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
Southern California
My parents just purchased a property (uninhabited at this time) and it requires the removal of some dying (stupid bark beetle) pine trees. The workers found a nest with a newborn and egg. Don't know the time, but when I went over to check on them, it was 11 am. They had set it aside in a bucket. They saw the mama bird come by. It's now 3:30. The bird is cold and still alive, but I think the chances of the mama bird finding it is slim because it was a VERY VERY tall tree and there's no way I can climb up that high to place the nest in a remaining pine tree about 40ft away. Anyway, because the baby was already cold and I'm not sure we can get the nest back up, I took it home to warm it up under a heating pad. I also gave it a few drops of vitamin water via a syringe. I know that may not have been the best action, but it's what I thought was best at the time and I don't think the bird will survive the night without intervention. It's getting late and it's a tad chilly out today. Some bird sites are saying not to feed birds at all. Anyway, the bird is tiny! I have no clue as to species. I want to try to bring it back to the property tomorrow morning and see if mama bird will come back.

Any tips in the meantime? Any guesses to species?

Last edited:
Its a baby dove. It looks like it is very young, and I would put him in the nest in a nearby tree and leave him for a wile if no parents com take him to a bird rescue or vet. Do not disturb the nest at all after placed in the tree and try not to touch the chick anymore.

Spring is never a good time to fell trees as it is breeding season. Best to keep the bird warm with a heating pad on low or a brooder lamp. It would be a good idea to identify what type of bird it is, and find out what they eat. I can't tell what type of bird that is.

The bird seemed to welcome the drops of warm vitamin water I gave it. (Only about 5 drops). I maintained its original nest and have a heating pad over it at the moment. The workers are still there, so mama won't come very close. If it makes it through the night, I'll attempt to put the nest in the highest nearby tree I can reach tomorrow morning and see if mama returns.

The bird feels warmer now with the heating pad. Fingers crossed.

The chick is probably better off going to a wildlife rescue. It is to young to go without food and it's parents specialized care. It was so nice of you to take in the little bird!

Best of luck!!

The bird made it through the night! This morning I made a warm mash of vitamin water, crushed mealies and chick mash and fed it a few drops. After I drop off kids at school, I will take nest back and see what happens. If no mama or papa returns, I'll call a wildlife rescue.

One response stated that it might be a dove. There are tons of mourning doves around here and based on Internet googling, this baby does look like a mourning dove.

I strapped nest to a nearby tree at about 5' elevation. I can't get it any higher. I've observed a few doves flying around and one even got close to the nest but it was only walking around on the ground. No bird has investigated or discovered the nest yet.

If it is the mother she will hear the baby cheep and go to it. If she does not go to the nest soon I would take it to the wildlife place. There are lots of critters who will make off with an unguarded baby bird... squirrels along with countless other types of birds. Also, if a mother bird does not think their babies will survive in the location they are in they may abandon the nest, I had cardinals do that last year.

Best of luck! You are doing a great thing!

Back
Top Bottom