HELP BABY CHICK DOES WEIRD

Loeke

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2018
hey

Im sorry i have so many questions. Its my first hatch and im just worried about them.
Yesterdag night i helped 2 chickens come out of the egg. They tried to get out alone for the past 3 days, without succes. So i carefully made the egg open. I think they had been stuck for too long in there. Now they peep loudly and cant walk. One of them has toes stuck togther (not disformed just doesnt spread tem) they cant sit up and use there wings to be in balance. aAso they keep their neck out and one of them tilts its head. I think they are going to die. Can anyone give me more information? Are they going to die? Is it normal because they have been stuck in the egg for so long? Im worried about them. So im desperatly waiting for replies.

Loeke

i never leave chickens inside eggs for more than 2 days and i learned that the hard way because 2 turkeys died because of it :(

Are they wet? is their umbilical cord still there? if it is never do anything with it, it's supposed to dry up inside the egg then fall off but it it's still there it's basically a vent for blood to flow out of

these signs aren't good but doesn't mean they will die, i had poults do the same thing but they survived but you should give them some magic water (search it up) wich can help them with their immunity system and some other stuff

They dried up. They look the same as my healty chick. Just doing weird (explained in my first post)

i will look up the magic water, thanks

In nature often when a chick cannot hatch itself it is because there is something wrong with it, simple natural selection as it needs to be able to look after itself from birth..Those of us that hatch often have all found if it can’t get out of the shell it sometimes means it won’t be able to look after itself and should be left inside to quietly die as nature intended. Not always but sometimes.
When we meddle with Mother Nature by hatching, I also hatch and am a meddler, we are taking over these decisions..we are the ones who have to either try to make them well or euthanase when they are in pain.
I’ve tape feet, ( spread toes and put a plaster top and bottom to keep toes where they should be) fixed splayed legs ( google this one on here or YouTube) and also when a chick is in such pain still after trying all these things it’s up to you to put it to sleep.
That’s the price we meddlers pay for hatching...it’s the sad side of it not everyone likes to talk about but you must be prepared to either take it to a vet or do what’s necessary.

If they have just hatched give them time to adjust. About 24 hours without messing with them. You can offer some water with sav a chick. Which you can get at most feed stores or tractor supply etc. if you are hatching chicks , sav a chick is something you should keep on hand. Also a little scrambled egg is good to get them started. Sometimes if it takes them too long to get out of the egg they are weak from all that hard work. You might want to ensure your humidity is good and they are not becoming shrink wrapped. This can make them unable to move around inside the egg thus unable to pip their way out. Make sure they have heat, but have room to get away from the heat source as well. I have hatched literally hundreds of chicks and dealt with about everything that could possibly go wrong. With caring and patience you can overcome just about every situation.

If they have just hatched give them time to adjust. About 24 hours without messing with them. You can offer some water with sav a chick. Which you can get at most feed stores or tractor supply etc. if you are hatching chicks , sav a chick is something you should keep on hand. Also a little scrambled egg is good to get them started. Sometimes if it takes them too long to get out of the egg they are weak from all that hard work. You might want to ensure your humidity is good and they are not becoming shrink wrapped. This can make them unable to move around inside the egg thus unable to pip their way out. Make sure they have heat, but have room to get away from the heat source as well. I have hatched literally hundreds of chicks and dealt with about everything that could possibly go wrong. With caring and patience you can overcome just about every situation.

Caring and patience can mean many things ..
pain receptors adjust so if a chick is still crying out constantly after 24hours it means there is something wrong..we all know a screaming chick 24hrs after hatch is an indication something is wrong ..patience is not going to help here ...
two options ..
Fix the problem , the internet has many helpful videos or take the chick to a vet.
patience at this stage is putting the chick under unnecessary pain and suffering which nobody has a right to do.
Caring means euthanising when necessary ..waiting for a chick to die In pain is not caring...it is terrible in my opinion and spineless.
WE hatched the chick WE have a responsiblitity to the chick ..whether it means saving it or putting it out if it’s pain.
Let’s stop being fluffy...we all hope it’s something simple but if it’s still screaming 24hours after hatch it’s pain receptors have had time to adjust and it is in so much pain it cannot be leftto just live or die. When we decide to hatch we decide to be responsible for a life..however tiny and however insignificant some Hatcher’s believe that life is...
All Hatcher’s whether new or old timers must act responsibly.

Thank you all. I brought one of the chicks away to the vet. The is a bit younger i kept him to see if it goes any better (he can walk but tilts its head) if i gave him food and water. If it doesnt help i will go to the vet tonight.

Back
Top Bottom