Help baby chick with swollen eyelids!

Camry08

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
I have a showgirl silkie that’s around six weeks old. She seems to have failure to thrive and a bad respiratory and whatever this skin condition is.

Here’s a list of everything I've been giving her:

*1/4 metronidole dissolved in 1 ml of water
*1 drop of enfamil polyvisol multivitamin drops a day
*VetRx- been putting on beak, nose, eyes, forehead, and underwings and a little drink of some
*Poultry nutri-drench- As much as she’s willing to drink. She seems to like the taste
*Save a chic probiotics in water
*Organic apple cider vinegar in another water cup
*scrambled eggs- she will eat a whole hand full of this on days she’s less willing to eat feed
*Every other day I give her a mash of feed, sugar water, and a tsp of plain probiotic yogurt
*For her skin I was putting on bag balm every day but the dead skin was sucking it up and drying like a scabby cast over her body (last pic).

I need advice about what to do for her eyes they have only been swollen for a few days but I know she can’t see well because of it and I need her to see her food.

I would also appreciate advice on her skin or any ideas? I ordered a brooder plate in hopes that getting the heat lamp off her might stop or really help with the skin condition? I plan to continue bag balm once the brooder plate gets here if there aren’t any better alternatives (poor greasy girl she hates it on her feathers)

One last thing I bought her for $50 dollars from a show quality silkie breeder. I contacted her and asked her for advice but she was genuinely floored. She said she had never had or seen such a thing before. Has anyone with showgirls or turkens seen something like this? Are these breeds prone to skin conditions?

Attachments

• 4FD05045-ED0F-41E6-83A3-C68B25835C50.jpeg
    4FD05045-ED0F-41E6-83A3-C68B25835C50.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 72
  • CADA573D-6C20-444B-BDF3-4B4AF37E5B7A.jpeg
    CADA573D-6C20-444B-BDF3-4B4AF37E5B7A.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 13
  • E6EEFF8C-355B-43C7-BAEF-A7E66BCBF670.jpeg
    E6EEFF8C-355B-43C7-BAEF-A7E66BCBF670.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 12
  • B4710F06-4FCD-4E54-BB7B-C6D542C127AC.jpeg
    B4710F06-4FCD-4E54-BB7B-C6D542C127AC.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 14
Do you have other chickens? Have you quarantined this pullet? I would be a little worried about her skin condition. Over the years there have been a lot of threads about similar peeling skin in silkies or showgirls. I have replied to a few wondering if there was something like Mareks or leukosis virus being possible, but no one seemed to know for sure. I will try to find some of those threads to look at pictures, and here is one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...plus-crunchy-breathing.1579246/#post-26829260

Do you have other chickens? Have you quarantined this pullet? I would be a little worried about her skin condition. Over the years there have been a lot of threads about similar peeling skin in silkies or showgirls. I have replied to a few wondering if there was something like Mareks or leukosis virus being possible, but no one seemed to know for sure. I will try to find some of those threads to look at pictures, and here is one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...plus-crunchy-breathing.1579246/#post-26829260
I got her the day she was hatched the breeder vaccinated her for mareks. She stoped growing immediately and her skin started peeling on her second day of life in the brooder. I haven’t separated her from her siblings because I’m certain she would cry herself to death if I did. She tries to use her bulky sisters as comfort or substitute mommy’s. The brooder plate I ordered her has comfort feathers so I hope it helps.

I have a batch of 10 week old pullets and two Guinea keets from tractor supply that I just moved to the porch. They never shared the brooder with my silkies but they were in my bedroom together

I also have a coop across town with adult chickens I raised last year. I did have to have one put down recently she became paralyzed from a broken toe and vet suspected mareks. But these birds nor there supplies have been near my silkie baby so I think she was born with this condition but that’s just a suspicion.

Sadly that link is a post I made about her I’ve been struggling with her for weeks now

Yes breeder is npip certified. I drove across 4 states for her and her three siblings just cause I wanted my first show birds🥲
Unfortunately being in NPIP certified does not mean the flock is disease free.

Do you happen to have a link to the person's website that you bought from?

There is not a whole lot you can do about an illness if she has been with other chicks and pullets, but if you should lose her one day, I would have your state vet perform a necropsy. They look for clues and do testing for many different common diseases.

Back
Top Bottom