Help, Baby Chicks Are Dying

Biggeda

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 18, 2016
Been raising chickens for about 4 years but never had this issue. I had 14 baby chicks hatch about 2 1/2 months ago. I have 3 left. I usually hatch at the beginning of Spring and by the time the hot Texas Summer hits they are old enough to handle the heat. Not sure if this is the issue, they seem healthy and I have them in a large covered coop by themselves. Water is refreshed 3 to 4 times a day. I don’t understand what’s happening other than the heat. Temp in Texas is about 100 to 105 day time and around 80 at night.

What are their symptoms before they die? What are you feeding them? Have you tried electrolytes in the water to keep them better hydrated?

Not put anything in the water, they get the medicated chick feed. They seem fine running around but will sit down and within a couple of hours one dies. About one a day or every other day. Thanks for your reply.

You need to get a necropsy done on the dead chicks. That's the only way you'll find out for certain what's killing your chicks.

There are viruses that can pass from an infected hen to her egg which then infects the embryo. Sometimes chicks infected in this manner will hatch normally and some die in the egg. Some infected chicks will die in the first few weeks while others will live a year and then die.

When chickens die, it may seem mysterious and that they've died for no good reason, but the reality is that something killed them. A necropsy will tell you what you're dealing with.

Call a vet or your local university extension office for help in locating a lab.

Are you brooding them outside in the heat? I believe Texas is almost as hot as the place i live. (100-110). If this is the case, its waaaay to hot to brood them outside. For my 11 girls who are almost hens now i have a .UV blocking shade cloth, a fan and mister in their covered run and a fan in the window of the hen house. All this is necessary or my girls wouldnt make it. Even though their run and house is under a big shade tree.the little ones just cant make it in that kind of heat as they do need a warm side, its equally as important to have a cool side they can regulate body temperature with.if you feel heats not the issue,, then could it be coccidosis? Symptoms are lethergy, extreme sleepiness, puffed up appearance, foamy poo, loss of appetite and they may or MAY NOT have blood in their feces, depending on the strain of cocci and how far its progressed. If this is suspected treat as soon as possible with Amprollium. The brand name is Corid or Amprol depending where you live. All chicks get treated and it wont hurt those who dont have it yet. I really do hope this helps a bit and do sincerely hope you can find out the cause of their illnesses. Im so very sorry you lost so many. Thats so hard.. i wish you the very best.Good luck.

Thank you for the insight. I don't detect any illness, not by the way they act. I think I just put them out too soon in this heat. My big hen are fine but they run the property. I have some a few years old and some 7 months old. Guess I will try and keep the babies cooler. Learning as I go and BYC has helped so much. Thanks to all that replied. I have a temp controlled room I will use from now on. Thanks again everybody.

Back
Top Bottom