Help baby chik can’t stand video attached

Hasn’t happened to me, but my aunt had one that seemed to do something similar.

Her cure:

She gently(but tightly) wrapped the chick in a paper towel or just a regular towel and put it in a coffee cup so it’s head was poking out of the top.

It had something to do with the leg compression that help it straighten it’s legs out, but like I said, it wasn’t my chick so I’m not 100% sure :confused:

I think she put him in the cup for about a half an hour at a time, giving him about ten minute breaks in between.

She did it a couple of times until he could stand upright and after that he was fine.

It has energy. Thats good. How long has it been hatched? You might need to give water with a dropper for a couple of days, and make sure you block it in from the rest of the brooder as most likely it would get into the water and drown . I think it will get its balance in a day or 2. Had one similar but less motivation. Nursed it for days and was getting better. I didnt isolate it in the brooder and it drowned in the water bowl. That one really bothered me for awhile.

I had one this past Wednesday do the same thing mine also couldn’t straighten it’s neck. I took it out held it with its neck straight for a few mins, put it back in the incubator. Once it wore itself out and stopped trying I sat it up with the neck straight out sort of like how they sleep.. it is fine now..

It is actually he chick at the bottom of my profile pic with the black speck on its head

The problem seems to be that it’s feet are curled up.
I’m not sure how long after hatching it takes for the feet to straighten out.
Perhaps the issue will resolve itself with time or it may need assistance.
I’m sorry I can’t offer advice.
I haven’t had this problem but I think there’s others on BYC that know what you can do.

we had a similar problem early in the year with some quail. It is mostly splayed legs because of how they hatched. We tried the cup thing with almost no luck. He ended up passing from crazy chick disorder but his legs were starting to seem better. What we did is wrapped a band-aid around his legs closer to the knees and left some room in between for spacing. We let him sit in his cage with a paper towel over the bedding to prevent slipping. We had to prop his little bottom up with a cotton ball so he would put pressure on his legs and not the hocks. He won't like it but it will sure help. Also, make sure if your brooder or cage you put the chicks into doesn't have a slippery bottom even WITH bedding it is still slippery we put the bedding in there(generous layer) and a paper towel on top. They walk much better.

Here are pictures on how to fix spraddle leg and splayed toes :)
spraddleleg.jpg
splayedtoes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom