Hand hatched

Apr 4, 2020
had 2 successful hatched over the past 2 days and then 2 eggs that pipped and zipped halfway and then stopped. This morning I took a look and they had shrink wrapped but were very vocal so I made the decision to finish hatching them. Both are out and chirping now but they can’t find their feet they are rolling around trying to stand and keep falling over. Both feet are curled. Will they eventually stretch out and be able to stand or should I help them?

It can be from a vitamin B2 deficiency so if you have Poultry Cell, I'd put that in their water every other day.

You'll have to basically tape their feet flat. Here's a website that describes it. https://www.mypetchicken.com/blogs/faqs/my-chicks-toes-are-all-curled-up-whats-wrong-with-her

And here's one more: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/

This needs to be done asap so they grow properly and learn to walk correctly, otherwise, it will be permanent.

Ok thanks. So ones head is completely turned and it lies in the same shape that it was in the egg and the other cant get their feet under them

had 2 successful hatched over the past 2 days and then 2 eggs that pipped and zipped halfway and then stopped. This morning I took a look and they had shrink wrapped but were very vocal so I made the decision to finish hatching them. Both are out and chirping now but they can’t find their feet they are rolling around trying to stand and keep falling over. Both feet are curled. Will they eventually stretch out and be able to stand or should I help them?
Make little shoes for them to straight out the toes

This is what they look like trying to stand. Their legs are also bent and not holding their weight. Tried the shoes but they keeping kicking them off how do I keep them on?

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 5
This is what they look like trying to stand. Their legs are also bent and not holding their weight. Tried the shoes but they keeping kicking them off how do I keep them on?
Maybe try that second link I gave you where they used heavy tape on both sides of the feet.

The vitamin water suggestion could help too. I just had one like you mentioned with its head that would go down into the "fetal" position, then it would start rolling in a ball over and over. I almost thought it was having convulsions or something. I got it to drink some Poultry Cell water a few times and never saw that happen again.

Made two sets of shoes and put them into their own brooder away from my others. I will have to wait until after work to go get vitamins

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0169.jpeg
    IMG_0169.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom