Help Baby pigeon dying

Pics
My little girl just passed away in my hands 3 minutes ago...
Sorry for the loss. I hope you aren't beating yourself up too bad over it. It's not possible to save every sick bird/animal/human. You did all you could do with what you had available to you and that's what matters... you tried. Every success and failure is a learning experience, so just keep everything in mind for the future and you will continually keep learning new things and become a better fancier because of it. Sometimes the parents stop feeding babies because they are poor parents, but more often they stop feeding babies when they sense they are sick. It's just some kind of instinct with them and falls into the survival of the fittest category. Having that in mind, and since you already have the canker medicine coming, it's probably a wise idea to medicate the old birds since they are probably what infected the babies to begin with. The old birds can have more of a resistance to it, but the young birds don't have anything like that built up yet and are not able to fight it off and it continually gets worse in them while the parents are seemingly unaffected. So when the medicine comes, use it on the parents so you hopefully wont have a repeat on their next nest.

What happened?? Are they okay? I raise baby all the time. I hatch them as well. If you still need help I can gladly help

Attachments

• D549FE43-9866-402F-9003-082AE3253CEA.jpeg
    D549FE43-9866-402F-9003-082AE3253CEA.jpeg
    539.8 KB · Views: 4
Sorry for your loss.
I'm late to the party cuz I was just doing research into deciding if I wanted a pigeon as a pet. This is what I found about feeding newborn chick's. Momma bird actually produces a milky liquid from crop before they are weaned over to seeds and grains.

https://www.mypetneedsthat.com/doves-and-pigeons-as-pets/

Caring for Baby Doves and Pigeons

Doves and pigeons attain sexual maturity at about six months. At that time, your bird will lay eggs and hatch chicks. Although the parental pair will do most of the work regarding caring for their young ones, you can help a little. However, it is advisable to allow the parents to care for their offspring because they feed them with milk from their crops.

In case you have to care for a baby dove or pigeon without the help of the parents, request your vet to prescribe the best milk recipe for the young bird. The vet is likely to recommend a commercial baby bird formula that is to be blended to a liquid state for the newly hatched chicks to take through a syringe. Place the syringe in the offspring’s mouth and ensure the tip gets to their crop. Apply some petroleum jelly at the tip of the syringe to provide proper lubrication. Here are some additional tips:

• Feed the bird that liquid mixture three times daily until they are five days old
  • After the fifth day, you may use a larger syringe than the one you have been using
  • When the bird is three weeks old, leave some seeds in the bird’s cage, so that they can learn how to peck
  • Train the baby dove or pigeon to drink water from a bowl, which is to be left in the cage too
  • Wean the baby bird by leaving the right food for him or her inside the cage. Hand feed them once a day, until when feeding becomes evident to them
Doves and pigeons fledge between the 4th and 6th week. At this point, they can start eating adult food

Back
Top Bottom