Help, baby quail dying!

jess_huds

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2018
Hello,

I hope you are well. I posted a thread about quail that keep dying and was told you could maybe help?

I recently hatched 4 Californian quail. All will be perfectly okay for about 2 days then go limp and seem to die within hours. I don’t think there’s any issues with the heat, the food is definitely being eaten and I think the water is being drunk (as they are only small tho I don’t know for sure as it could be evaporation). I have attached a photo and video. I really don’t know what to do, they look physically fine but just keep dying. The only thing I noticed was one of them had a dropping on it’s behind but that hasn’t happened with the rest. I’m down to only one chick now and I really want to help him. Any help would be great.
many thanks,
Jess

Attachments

• 9D00890C-29B7-4FD7-9256-02CBD230DE62.jpeg
    9D00890C-29B7-4FD7-9256-02CBD230DE62.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 22
Hello,

thank you all for your help. They are on some special towels that I change daily. I am feeding them high protein chick feed. In regards to the temps and the photo I will post asap.

thanks

Hello everyone,
So I don’t have any electrolytes - should I get some and how? I have posted a photo. The temp on the cold side is 27, hot side is 36. I’ve noticed the last chick is stood on abit of a towel pushing his head against the top of the brooder - does this mean he’s cold?
I haven’t seen any injuries, the babies that passed all had full crops and no physical injuries.
Thank you so much guys I really appreciate the help!

Attachments

• 5064671D-3F74-492E-8F35-7DB6DB2D4086.jpeg
    5064671D-3F74-492E-8F35-7DB6DB2D4086.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 13
Do you cover the cage at Night?
Hello,

I pulled the blanket back for the photo. The towel covers them 24 hours a day apart from about 2 inches at the bottom to let air in/ allow a cool spot.Should I cover it completely?
thanks,
Jess

No, ... as very young chicks have no day/night rythum, especially without mother hen, they need 24h light, for at least the first 14 days.
If they wake up, hungry, and it is dark, they will not find the food and will have too long phases of hunger, which isn't healthy.

Even if they eat then (full crop) they may already starving, getting too weak.

Back
Top Bottom