Help! Babysitting a Rooster - Yes or No?

Henny Loggins

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
So, a friend of my man's asked if she could bring her Rooster over to our place because Animal Control came and told her she couldn't have one in her area. So, since we can, she asked if we wouldn't mind taking him for a week or so until she has time to drive it to her mom's in another county that will allow it.

Problem: We have a Roo. He is quite content and jolly. We only have 4 hens. Also, our roo was ganged up on at his previous home by 2 other Roos and we've always prided in giving him a safe environment.

Fears: Our Roo will get all jacked up again. The stress put upon the flock will disrupt them far past the good deed of babysitting the strange roo for a week.

Halp!

What would you do?

Keep the new rooster housed away from your flock. Quarantine is always good even if you are pet-sitting for a week.

Keep the new rooster housed away from your flock. Quarantine is always good even if you are pet-sitting for a week.

So, if keeping the new rooster separate isn't an option then we should say no, right? Sorry to be so dense, I just feel bad not being able to do a friend a favor.

You should keep him separate because you don't know what types of issues he will be bringing with him. I took a couple of free silkie roos that I saw on Craigslist and was stupid enough to introduce them to my flock on the first day. Low and behold....they had a BAD case of leg mites, which I had never seen before.
barnie.gif

If you do not have a place to quarantine new stock, I would not keep the rooster. Nothing worse than having your entire flock come down with disease.

Back
Top Bottom