Help - black scabs on turkey neck??

Jillian118

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Riverside, CA
These black scabs showed up on my girl the other day, I have no idea what this is, and cannot find anything on line that looks similar.

So far her behavior is fine, she doesn't mind me touching them at all etc.... she is eating and drinking fine.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. I am new to turkeys and chickens.

If those bumps spread to other parts of her head/neck, then I think that Fowl Pox is a definite possibility. Fowl Pox (which, by the way, does not affect humans) is a viral disease of poultry. It comes in two forms, wet and dry: Dry pox shows up as scabs on the face and unfeathered areas, and Wet pox appears as bumps in the mouth and respiratory tract. There is no treatment; assuming death (in the case of Wet pox) isn't caused by suffocation, the bird will recover in 3-6 weeks.

To prevent secondary infections in the affected birds, it is advisable to use a broad-spectrum antibiotic, such as Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Durmycin, Terramycin, and Tetroxy HCA-280), Tetracycline, or Tylan. Any of those antibiotics can usually be purchased at a livestock supply store. The Oxytetracycline dosage is 1/2 teaspoon powdered Oxytetracycline per quart of drinking water for 7-14 days. The Tylan50 injectable dosage, at least for chickens (I'm not sure on the Turkey dosage) is 1cc injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. A small gauge needle should be used, and you should alternate the side of the breast that you inject into. Do not give probiotics, dairy products, or Apple Cider Vinegar during antibiotic treatment.

In the future, you might consider vaccinating your flock for Fowl Pox. The vaccine can be purchased from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....in_page=product_info&cPath=46&products_id=566, and is administered as a wing web stab. Vaccinate young birds.

Thank you, I did read up on fowl pox, its just that none of the photos looked quite like what she is exhibiting. I found something about mosquito sores, but then lost the link.

I figured I would ask here while doing more research as well. The bumps have not spread. The ones she has (which has only been a couple days) are these same ones. Nothing new has popped up, but I am keeping a close eye on it in case they do.

Looks like dry fowl pox to me. It is similar to chicken pox in kids, spreads by ozzing and will spread to any bare spot it touches, on any turkey. Never got it on any other birds except turkeys and about this time last year. After exposure, that bird will usually be immune. For next years birds you can buy vaccine on line at Jeffers Livestock Supply. I think it runs around $7 or $8 for enough to do 1000 birds. No immunity passed on to offspring that I know of, so new hatchlings will have to be vaccinated each year. I don't think they can be vaccinated before 3 weeks, but I might be remembering wrong!

Well she is my only turkey, so no worries there. Poor Mabel. She is such a sweetheart. She doesn't seem any worse for wear, so I will consider myself lucky

Thank you, I did read up on fowl pox, its just that none of the photos looked quite like what she is exhibiting. I found something about mosquito sores, but then lost the link.

I figured I would ask here while doing more research as well. The bumps have not spread. The ones she has (which has only been a couple days) are these same ones. Nothing new has popped up, but I am keeping a close eye on it in case they do.
Mosquitoes are the ones that spread fowl pox to the birds. Yours looks like an early case, treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic like the poster above said for secondary infections that are common and wait it out.

She comes and sits in my lap everyday and I check her over pretty good then. Nothing in her mouth at all. Everything looks normal except for those spots.

Back
Top Bottom