HELP: blackening comb

Agilityscots

Songster
12 Years
Jun 9, 2007
Central Ohio
Someone recently posted about black spots on their hens' combs, and I also had the same problem. My girls (8 months old) all have small black specks on their combs. Well, this morning when I went to let them out, my poor Ophelia's comb is in bad shape; it's half black, and she also now has specks around her eyes. I'm scared that this is avian pox, and if it is, is there a cure?

Here's a pic; I apologize for the poor quality, but I'm home alone so I can't get anyone to hold her. You get the gist; you can also see the spot on the skin nearest her eye.

100_0786.jpg

Amy

Amy, I was under the impression that the black spots were from frost bite. You might do a SEARCH and type in frostbite and see if any of the pictures look the same to you? They usually put vaseline on the combs. I see where you are in Ohio and I know you have had quite a bit of snow this year and I can only assume cold so possibly that is the problem?

here I found info for you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/search.php?search_id=1788132608

Last edited:
Hi Ozark,

The pictures that I've seen of frostbite seem to occur near the tips of the comb (just like in humans, the toes freeze first). These are black spots that appear random, some at the base of the comb and some near the eye (all my girls have them). Thoughts???

Oh, and that link didn't work??

Amy

Last edited:
Thanks Ozark...I appreciate your help. At least I know someone's reading this! I definitely don't think it's frostbite. The area started out looking like white mold on her comb, with only a few black spots...and now this. I just need to know if this is dangerous, or contagious, or deadly....whatever it is.

Amy

My hens get black spots from pecking, they are random and small. If your hen is on the bottom of the pecking order then it might account for the condition of her comb. JMHO.
Pictures I've seen of Avian Pox show the spots to be larger and round. No cure, if I remember correctly, just have to cross fingers and let it run its course.
As for frostbite, that is the tips and only my Roo had a problem with that.

Quote:
Yes, she definitely gets picked on...chased and such. She's at the bottom of the heap in my flock. But all the girls have them, and these are not blood spots that fall off. I've tried rubbing them, and they don't come off.

Amy

Quote:
Hi Kris,

Yes, she's at the bottom...but I don't think these are peck marks. You're right, the pics of avian pox that I've seen show very round looking marks. These have weird edges and shapes. I gasped when I saw her comb this morning; it looks so horrible.

Now that I think about it, they WERE locked up all day yesterday...it's probably too much to hope that this is from pecking.

Amy

Mine don't rub off either. I think it takes a couple of days then they scab and fall off. All my hens , even the bossy hens, have these and their numbers vary.

Back
Top Bottom