Help!! blindness, paralysis, clear poo with bright yellow streaks

jhart8285

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
New Concord, west ky
I had a turkey named oscar who died today. He was white, not sure of breed and the only one I had. he was about 3-4 months old. About a week ago we noticed that he was slowing down and getting lethargic. So I thought he was coming down with something and put antibiotics in the water. His lethargy got worse but he was still eating and moving around until yesterday when He suddenly went blind. Then last night he started running a high fever which we controlled with wet rags and he had watery clear poo with bright yellow streaks. This progressed into seizures, paralasis of legs, then neck, eyelids and finally death from the violent seizures. I stayed up with him all night trying to help and he died in my arms at 8:04 this morning. This all happened in less than 24 hours. No autopsy possible, I buried him this morning.. and I couldn't do it to him. I need to know if I should worry about it spreading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have chickens and none of them seem sick, but we have lost about 20 chickens to a brazen den of foxes, hawks, opossoms and coon with in the last 3 months. I just can't get a break. Get rid of one thing and something else takes it's place.

Hello is anyone out there

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear about your Turkey. I wish I had a positive answer for you, however it could be Newcastle Disease which is contagious and almost always fatal. They can go blind at some point, paralasis is a symptom along with other viral conditions.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Look thru this list of common diseases and do some research. I would keep an eye on the others for spreading.

So sorry.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom