Help, bloody egg/vent?

CircusRing

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Pefferlaw Ontario
I have a hen who seems to be trying to pass a bloody egg or something. Does anyone know what is going on here and what I should do? She’s drinking water with vitamins added. She seems to be straining. We are building a separate place for her in the coop right now so she can get some space. Any help appreciated.

If she's trying to pass something, you'll need to help her by maybe soaking her in a warm epsom bath and see if that relaxes her so that she can pass it. If it is a broken egg, you may need to flush her out a bit. The egg shells can cause damage and infection. Antibiotics may be needed if that's the case.

You should clean her up and isolate her. That injury can attract pecks, flies, and dirt. Flush the area with saline and keep it moist so the tissue doesn't get necrotic.

Imma tag some people (who are probably annoyed by the number of times they get tagged): @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @coach723

It looks like she's prolapsing. Maybe an egg stuck in there too.
I would do as @Aunt Angus suggested, give her a little soak if she's not lethargic, you can apply a bit of lubricant around the vent. I would not flush inside the vent with water since you can flush bacteria and fecal matter into the oviduct.

It looks like she's prolapsing. Maybe an egg stuck in there too.
I would do as @Aunt Angus suggested, give her a little soak if she's not lethargic, you can apply a bit of lubricant around the vent. I would not flush inside the vent with water since you can flush bacteria and fecal matter into the oviduct.
I've read people would flush their girls out, but what you say makes more sense. Thank you!

How is your hen doing? Is she egg bound as well as suffering from a prolapsed vent? Did the egg come out? Keep the prolapse moist and lubricated. Honey is fine, and sugar plus a couple of drops of water works as well. Those are hypertonic and will help to reduce swelling. If there is an egg stuck, it is important to give her some human calcium orally. Just pop it into her beak. Water is also good. Look for the opening in the vent to try and manipulate the egg out. If she is not eggbound, then that will be a lot easier to help treat. Getting the prolapse pushed back inside is the goal (if there is no egg inside.) Do not let the red tisue dry out. Separate her inside the house or inna dog crate inside the coop, since her vent will get pecked by others while the prolapse is there.

Hens can suffer a prolapse if they are dehydrated or deficienct in calcium, if they have been laying very large eggs, or if they are egg bound. It can take a few days to get a prolapse to stay inside. Once a day it could be good to soak her in warmmsoapy water to keep her vent clean. Make sure that she can poop. Eggbound birds cannot poop. Here is a good article about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

I gave her an epsom salt bath, cleaned her up and there didn’t seem to be any parts of her coming out anymore. To be safe I put preparation H in her vent with a gloves finger and some Vaseline. I didn’t feel any egg in there but I’m new to this. She seemed great after and I dried her off as best I could and brought her outside. She dried off and preeened under by he heat lamp we have in the run for emergencies (it’s off now) and she is up on her roost in a sectioned off part of the coop. It’s going to be cold here tonight so we’ve got a cozy heater mounted to the wall for times when we have a cold snap. I just want to make sure she doesn’t get a chill now but the coop seems pretty temperate and she was mostly dry by the time they went to bed. God I’m worried. I’ll be checking on her all night. She did make a poop before bed that was a bit runny but I was glad to see that at least. I’ll see how she goes tomorrow. Thank you for your advice! I really need and appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom