Help! Bloody poop...not sure which chicken

Mar 30, 2018
When I was cleaning the coop this morning, I found one poop that was bloody. The rest were all normal. This is the first one I have seen. My chickens are all laying eggs, are around 7 months old, and have been quite healthy. I do not see mites or lice. I have four chickens, 2 black sex links and 2 buff orps.
I have been getting eggs regularly, 3 to 4 a day. They eat Purina layer pellets, and have free choice oyster shell and grit, separated.
Any ideas? Coccidiosis?

Attachments

• 20180925_080012.jpg
    20180925_080012.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 22
How are they all acting? Any lethargy or sitting fluffed up? All eating and drinking well? It can be subtle, so look carefully.
Do they free range, or have they eaten anything that could cause a color change in droppings, like berries, tomatoes, etc.? Sometimes colors can be deceiving on some backgrounds, so smearing a bit on a white paper towel can help. If you do think it is blood, or there are any other symptoms showing, I would go ahead and treat for coccidiosis. Treatment is Corid, and it's very safe. I would treat them all. Coccidiosis is very common, unfortunately, and an outbreak often occurs after wet, rainy periods where the ground stays wet. I will attach the treatment chart below, use the severe outbreak dosing. If you have a vet that will do a fecal test for you they can check for worms and coccidia to confirm or rule out. Whenever possible it's best to test before worming to confirm the type of worm you may be dealing with so you can use the best medication and dosing for that particular worm. When I suspect coccidiosis I don't hesitate to treat, and it's best to start as soon as possible, it can progress quickly.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

They do free range for a few hours each day, and did get into my tomato plants yesterday, and ate quite a few. They act normal, I just let them out since I am home today and they all are running around the yard. I can get some Corid today. We have had lots of rain due to Florence, and then Saturday night we had 5 inches, so it could be coccidiosis.

So I put the Corid in their water, based on the dose. Do I change it each day or just leave it in there until they drink it all, then redose?

Back
Top Bottom