HELP! BO with yolkless slimy egg!!

WalnutTree

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
WA Seattle
I posted another thread a week ago on what looked like a yolkless egg in the run. Back then i wasnt sure it was my favorite hen Ginger.
I bought cacium citrate with d3 pills and have been giving them to her daily. I checked on her tonight and right below her roost was another egg.
I know its hers this time.
Please guide me on my next steps with her.
She is the best pet I've ever had and ill do whatever i can to save her.
CONTEXT:
Her comb is very red/not pale, shes 1 1/2 yrs. Along with the medicine i have free choice oyster and an organic feed.
She also has a large mushy bump under her vent i circled a diagram to where it is.
Heres a front and back of the egg i found and diagram.

Attachments

• 20230217_220027.jpg
    20230217_220027.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 506
  • 20230217_220200.jpg
    20230217_220200.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 103_ChickenAnatomy_ButcheringPork-1024x995.jpeg
    103_ChickenAnatomy_ButcheringPork-1024x995.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 6
Sometimes that happens, I would suggest switch the organic feed to layer feed. Wait a few weeks before deciding wether it helps or not.
Good luck.

Alright. Its an organic layer if that makes a difference @Paz
Yes, it does. So wait a couple more weeks to see if the layer feed helps.
Organic layer feed may have calcium that is not immediately available, so giving her the supplement is a good idea. Where I live, you can also ask the feed people for a paper bag of extra calcium (in case you buy mix flock, or pre layer).

I live in a very suburban area so i get my food from Coastal farm store and im not sure if they give extra calcium.
I can wait, i just dont want her being in pain while i do so.
Should i up the calcium citrate with d3 by 2 per day or is that too much?

Is there any chance my BOs life could be in danger from this?
@Paz

I posted another thread a week ago on what looked like a yolkless egg in the run. Back then i wasnt sure it was my favorite hen Ginger.
I bought cacium citrate with d3 pills and have been giving them to her daily. I checked on her tonight and right below her roost was another egg.
I know its hers this time.
Please guide me on my next steps with her.
She is the best pet I've ever had and ill do whatever i can to save her.
CONTEXT:
Her comb is very red/not pale, shes 1 1/2 yrs. Along with the medicine i have free choice oyster and an organic feed.
She also has a large mushy bump under her vent i circled a diagram to where it is.
Heres a front and back of the egg i found and diagram.
Mmmm, do you know much about Nicarbazin? I've only just read about it this week, but it looks like it's an anticoccidial in chickens that's also used for population control in Canadian geese and pigeons through "contraceptive corn". Not sure if anyone's used it for population control in chickens since that's not normally desirable.
Also, from here, "A side effect of nicarbazin, a veterinary drug used to control coccidiosis in chickens, is decreased egg production and hatching."
It's been around for a while, too, at least since 1956 or 1957 (see here).

I am not sure how to link one thread to another. JoelJustJoel posted this on

Current Social Media Chicken Feed Craze - posted testing results​

thread. The main concern is having feed tested to find out why some folks chickens have stopped laying September 2022. Then switching feed they start producing within a couple of days. This thread is post results from lab tests. So far test results are only concerned with Proteins and Nutrients. We need to know what to test for for more accurate results, otherwise it is way to expensive to test for just any toxin that maybe in the feed.

@chickDgnr8 i dont. But i have recently had the same no lay problem but recently switched to this organic layer and now my other hens are laying

@Eggcessive correct. It has been a week already. I can always wait of course im just worried about her. If it does come to 2 weeks and shes still laying these yolkless eggs by then what should i do if its a egg gland problem?

Also, id like to bring more attention to the large bulge under her vent she has. Its recently gotten bigger.

Back
Top Bottom