Back 30

Chirping
May 3, 2022
Virginia
2 yr old ISA Brown, named "#5" has been laying less frequently however, eggs are very large and thick towards the tip of the egg. Last 48 hrs she's been lethargic... Standalone sunbathing, pale comb and closing her eyes (haven't seen the penguin stance yet). Today I inspected the vent and noticed contractions and an egg protruding (maybe a half inch at most). Brought her in around 3pm today and gave a nice warm soak, about 15 minutes was all my back could tolerate, leaning over the deep sink. Ran out to Walmart and grabbed some Spring Valley Calcium (600mg/ tab plus vitamin D3 20mcg) tablets. When I returned to her crate there were a few bowel movements. Gave her some scrambled eggs, the calcium tablet and was really happy that she took water. Cut the lights, put on a space heater and gave her a break til midnight. She had another 10 minute soak and I applied coconut oil to her vent. The egg was no longer visible but the vent was still contracting. Upon application or the lubricant, I got another good b.m., from the stimulus. We sat by the fire for a bit, snuggled in a towel and when she got a little restless, I put her to bed, back in the crate. Is monitoring all that's left?? I would've attempted to palpate the egg out but, I didn't feel it near the opening. Maybe there will be an egg in the morning. Vet visit is off the table, any advice?

2 yr old ISA Brown, named "#5" has been laying less frequently however, eggs are very large and thick towards the tip of the egg. Last 48 hrs she's been lethargic... Standalone sunbathing, pale comb and closing her eyes (haven't seen the penguin stance yet). Today I inspected the vent and noticed contractions and an egg protruding (maybe a half inch at most). Brought her in around 3pm today and gave a nice warm soak, about 15 minutes was all my back could tolerate, leaning over the deep sink. Ran out to Walmart and grabbed some Spring Valley Calcium (600mg/ tab plus vitamin D3 20mcg) tablets. When I returned to her crate there were a few bowel movements. Gave her some scrambled eggs, the calcium tablet and was really happy that she took water. Cut the lights, put on a space heater and gave her a break til midnight. She had another 10 minute soak and I applied coconut oil to her vent. The egg was no longer visible but the vent was still contracting. Upon application or the lubricant, I got another good b.m., from the stimulus. We sat by the fire for a bit, snuggled in a towel and when she got a little restless, I put her to bed, back in the crate. Is monitoring all that's left?? I would've attempted to palpate the egg out but, I didn't feel it near the opening. Maybe there will be an egg in the morning. Vet visit is off the table, any advice?
Unfortunately, I don't know how to advise you further, but am sorry she is going through this! Hopefully someone can help you with this.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to advise you further, but am sorry she is going through this! Hopefully someone can help you with this.
Still alive this morning. Combs fallen a little bit more. Seems painful to walk but still eating and drinking :/

I feel your pain, I have a hen with laying problems also. She laid another huge egg yesterday and has not come out of the coop yet today, I don't have a good feeling right now about her.

I feel your pain, I have a hen with laying problems also. She laid another huge egg yesterday and has not come out of the coop yet today, I don't have a good feeling right now about her.
These poor chickchicks :( I'm hoping I misdiagnosed her. I'd like to think she's just under the weather. Wishful thinking... Hate to see them like this. Hope the best for your girl <3

Back
Top Bottom