Help! Bobcat attack - ruptured air sack?

It seems like I'm not able to get antibiotics for her unless I take her in to a vet... any other options?
Treat her for shock. Electrolytes in sugar water and keep her from getting chilled.

I know bobcat attacks. I've lost a few chickens to them over the years. They will grasp the chicken in its jaws and try to sever the cervical column. You need to examine her carefully for puncture wounds. If you see them, and I'd be surprised if you don't find any, assume bacteria has been injected into her system. An oral antibiotic is a good idea or you may lose her over the next couple days to bacterial infection.

You will also need to flush the eye and to do that, you will need to gently lift the eye lid. This will also let you know if the eye is damaged. She will need the eye flushed daily and terramycin eye ointment applied twice a day. You will find that at a feed store.

Expect the bobcat to return. They always do. Be prepared.

Do you have Tractor Supply there? They carry Fish Mox, amoxycillin. It comes in 500mg, so it's a bit of a hassle to open the capsules and divide the contents into two doses. She will need 250mg per day for ten days.

I have empty gel caps on hand so I fill them with the 250mg doses. Or you can dissolve the dose in a few milliliters of water and syringe it into her crop like this.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Do you have Tractor Supply there? They carry Fish Mox, amoxycillin. It comes in 500mg, so it's a bit of a hassle to open the capsules and divide the contents into two doses. She will need 250mg per day for ten days.

I have empty gel caps on hand so I fill them with the 250mg doses. Or you can dissolve the dose in a few milliliters of water and syringe it into her crop like this. View attachment 2784688
I do have a TS nearby, I'll go over there now. I'm nervous about syringing into her beak if she has a beak injury, which seems to be the case. Should I still do it? Anything g I should be careful of?

I'm unable to see the beak injury in the photos. You'll need to be the judge of whether the beak is able to withstand prying open.

It would help if you would try to describe the beak injury. Is it smashed, cracked, out of alignment, tip missing, any bleeding?

I'm unable to see the beak injury in the photos. You'll need to be the judge of whether the beak is able to withstand prying open.

It would help if you would try to describe the beak injury. Is it smashed, cracked, out of alignment, tip missing, any bleeding?
It's not smashed or anything, but it looks like its filled with white mucous? And she really doesn't want it open.

Yes, it appears the beak is injured, but you do need to try to get a look at the inside of it. There may be so much damage to the inside of her mouth that she may not be able to eat or drink or even be tube fed water and food. In that case, she may need to be euthanized.

Back
Top Bottom