Help! Bobcat attack - ruptured air sack?

Lisa3315

Songster
Feb 20, 2021
Placer County, California
I was just given a pullet by a neighbor a few minutes ago, the pullet was attacked by a bobcat last night and they are leaving today to go out of town. They asked me to take it, of course I can't say no. I haven't dealt with an animal attack/injury before, and I'm not sure if I'm serving as hospice for this chicken, or if we still have a chance for recovery. She seems like she's in pretty bad shape, but maybe she just needs a rest.
Here is the info I have on it:
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
It looks like a leghorn. Pretty young but laying, maybe six or seven months old? I think they just got it as a chick this last winter/spring. Seems like it was a healthy bird before the attack.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Seems very dazed, lethargic. She's moving around a little bit, looking around. Right now she kind of looks like she's sleeping standing up. The neighbor did let me know that she laid an egg between the attack and when they dropped her off, so that seems like a good sign maybe?
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Was just attacked yesterday afternoon.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No. She was the last of her flock, the rest had already been nabbed by the bobcat.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
I've only done a visual examination, I'm afraid to handle her too much and traumatize her more. One of her eyes is swollen, she has some dried blood at the corner of her beak, and she seems kind of puffed up in the front near her crop. She's standing, but not walking around starting to walk around a bit. Seems like she might have a ruptured air sack?
20210803_113242.jpg

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Bobcat grabbed her, had her in it's mouth, neighbor came out shouting and scared the bobcat so it dropped the chicken.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Unknown if she has been eating or drinking, I only just got her.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Update: poop is kind of runny, but there is a normal amount. Unknown, haven't seen any poop yet.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing so far. I have her in a large dog kennel in the laundry room, it has some food and water, a bunch of towels, and I've covered about half of it with towels so it's kind of dark and calming.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'm not going to be taking her to a vet, so it will have to be whatever I can do at home. I'm close to a few local feed stores and a Tractor Supply, so I can get supplies there if I need anything.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I've added a photo below, it's not great.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Large dog kennel with towels, indoors with air conditioning.

So, I guess I'm looking for - what are the next steps I should take? If there's still a chance to save her, what should I do? If she's too far gone, how can I make her more comfortable?

Last edited:
Update: She's moving around a little more, definitely seems more alert. I picked her up and tried to feel around the bulged area, and it didn't seem very balloon like? It felt pretty firm. So I'm not sure if it's actually a ruptured air sack, but I'm not sure what else it might be.

I splashed the water around so she could hear it and know where it was, and she perked up and walked over to it. I don't think she could figure out how to drink from the waterer because of one of her eyes being closed and the bulge kind of getting in her way. I filled up a measuring cup and raised it up to her beak a couple of times so she could at least get a little it of water.

Good for you for trying to take care of her. Is there a large open wound? Is it noisy when she breathes? Seems like you are doing the right things but if there is a wound you would want to get that cleaned. I think the next step is to do a pretty thorough inspection of her and try to guage the extent of her injuries.

Good for you for trying to take care of her. Is there a large open wound? Is it noisy when she breathes? Seems like you are doing the right things but if there is a wound you would want to get that cleaned. I think the next step is to do a pretty thorough inspection of her and try to guage the extent of her injuries.
Thanks for responding. I didn't notice any open wounds when I was looking her over. It seems like her injuries are internal. It's not very noisy when she breathes... But she's in a very quiet room, and if I hold my breath and listen closely I can hear her breathe. She kind of smacks her beak every once in a while, like she's thirsty maybe?

Otherwise, her legs and wings seem okay, she's been slowly walking around the kennel and she flapped her wings when I was setting her back down in the kennel. Her eye definitely has something going on, I haven't seen her open it yet. I'm concerned about the lump on her neck, I'm really not sure what is going on there. She is finally sitting down and napping, she seems really tired, but she's also becoming more alert as the day is going on.

Should I just let her rest for a while and check back later? I don't know what else I can do to figure out what's going on with her neck.

Sorry about the new hen. I just lost 3 chickens mid-afternoon last Friday to a bobcat. We only knew what kind of predator when it came back for the last body. It was my first major predator attack in 10 years. I would be concerned about a beak injury and internal injuries. Watch to see if her beak opens normally, meets together, and is straight. If you can watch to see if she will take some food by tomorrow, and continue to drink, that would be good. Scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food, and wet chicken feed can be alternated to tempt her to eat. Holding a lid or scoop up to her beak often is very helpful. Check again for any hidden wounds under her feathers. Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and Vetericyn, plus plain Neosporin ointment are good for wound care.

Treat her for shock. Electrolytes in sugar water and keep her from getting chilled.

I know bobcat attacks. I've lost a few chickens to them over the years. They will grasp the chicken in its jaws and try to sever the cervical column. You need to examine her carefully for puncture wounds. If you see them, and I'd be surprised if you don't find any, assume bacteria has been injected into her system. An oral antibiotic is a good idea or you may lose her over the next couple days to bacterial infection.

You will also need to flush the eye and to do that, you will need to gently lift the eye lid. This will also let you know if the eye is damaged. She will need the eye flushed daily and terramycin eye ointment applied twice a day. You will find that at a feed store.

Expect the bobcat to return. They always do. Be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom