Help! Bobcats attacking my chickens!!

Tregan

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
sad.png

I love your site! i have found TONS of great information for the newbie raising chickens which is me!! I need some help with a predator that you don't have listed, bobcat. He has attacked, getting most of my flock. I am trying the save a heart trap but... no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you again!

As Im said in my earlier post on this thread, we have lots of bobcats and they show up on our trail camera at least once a week (many different ones). We will absolutely NOT kill them and the only way to keep my chickens protected is to watch them when I let them out during the day and to make their coop and run predator proof. I also have an electric fence around the perimeter of my coop and run and that has deterred many predator, including hbobcats.

Quote:
beautiful solution. Predators can (and do) exist on ALL of our properties. No matter WHERE we live. It is our job to adamently protect our defenseless animals through inpenitrable defenses.

Welcome to BYC.
smile.png
I am sorry you are losing birds. I have no experience dealing with bobcats but many members do. Try posting your question in the pests/predators sections so the right right people will see it. Good luck.

wow, bobcats are tough. They may be hard to trap, especially with a Havahart. Around here I would contact a friend I know who is an experienced trapper, I dunno about your area. In the WINTER, you would have people eager to help you with your problem, but bobcats are out of season right now and in their summer coat.

If you catch it in the act of killing your birds, I know you can kill it in many states. Definitely check your local laws.

your trap need to be a minimum of 14"tall 17-18 will catch the cat quicker dig a shallow hole for the bait put your bait in the hole set the trap trigger over top of the bait stake the trap down a coupla feathers tied to a string hanging in the trap will help too a handful of feathers scattered around the mouth of the trap will add to the "eye appeal" if they already have a taste for chicken that would be your best bait one they have already half eaten good luck

Do your chickens free range, or do you have a secure run for them? We had bobcats take on our LGD (Great Pyrenees) pair one night going for our African Geese. Electric fencing does help deter them, you would need lines run high and low.

Sorry about your losses and the predator problem.

Call the department of agriculture. They will trap it for you I believe. or get a LGD good luck

Back
Top Bottom