Help! Bobcats attacking my chickens!!

Tregan

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
sad.png

I love your site! i have found TONS of great information for the newbie raising chickens which is me!! I need some help with a predator that you don't have listed, bobcat. He has attacked, getting most of my flock. I am trying the save a heart trap but... no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you again!

Welcome to BYC.
smile.png
I am sorry you are losing birds. I have no experience dealing with bobcats but many members do. Try posting your question in the pests/predators sections so the right right people will see it. Good luck.

wow, bobcats are tough. They may be hard to trap, especially with a Havahart. Around here I would contact a friend I know who is an experienced trapper, I dunno about your area. In the WINTER, you would have people eager to help you with your problem, but bobcats are out of season right now and in their summer coat.

If you catch it in the act of killing your birds, I know you can kill it in many states. Definitely check your local laws.

your trap need to be a minimum of 14"tall 17-18 will catch the cat quicker dig a shallow hole for the bait put your bait in the hole set the trap trigger over top of the bait stake the trap down a coupla feathers tied to a string hanging in the trap will help too a handful of feathers scattered around the mouth of the trap will add to the "eye appeal" if they already have a taste for chicken that would be your best bait one they have already half eaten good luck

Do your chickens free range, or do you have a secure run for them? We had bobcats take on our LGD (Great Pyrenees) pair one night going for our African Geese. Electric fencing does help deter them, you would need lines run high and low.

Sorry about your losses and the predator problem.

Call the department of agriculture. They will trap it for you I believe. or get a LGD good luck

I am currently trying to catch a bobcat too. It seems the best way is to take an unwanted juvenile rooster and using it as bait. You will need a large trap. Try tying the leg of the unwanted roo inside the cage by the leg. Put a small water bowl in there and a little food too. no need for the roo to suffer more than it will. If you want to save the roo, you can put up a bit of hardware cloth inside the cage between the bait lever and the end of the cage. It is best to cover that end with smaller hardware cloth, to keep coons from sticking their paws through the cage and getting it, without going in the trap.

To some, this may seem cruel, but the bobcat will be even more cruel to the rest of the flock if not caught.

We have many bobcats in our area and our game cam has taken pictures of them several times. Trapping them (or attempting to) is a waste of time. If you are letting your chicks free range a bobcat could take a try at them during daylight, but that would not be usual. At night you must have your run and coop as near predator proof as possible. NO CHICKEN WIRE. We also have an electric fence surrounding our run and coop and so far it has detered the bobcats and bears, both of which have made visits to the area.

86519_cdy_0003.jpg

welcome-byc.gif
The larger the trap the greater the chance that a bobcat will enter. If this cat has been trapped and relocated it may be trap smart. Are you in an area where you can shoot the cat?

Back
Top Bottom