Help! Broody abandoned ducklings - now what??

dingodyna

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2020
I had a broody Pekin that successfully hatched out ducklings. Recently she became disinterested in them and they were abandoned after 8 days with her. I brought them inside into our brooder. It's only been a few hours but they don't seem interested in eating. Is this something the mother duck helps them with? Do I need to help them eat or will they figure it out?

PXL_20210711_022044227.jpg

Gently dip their beaks in the food and as well as the water. This is also a big transition for them and likely a bit scary. It may take them a little time to start eating. If you don't notice anything in a few hours, I would start to worry more. But right now, I think it is mostly shock.

@Miss Lydia may have some other ideas on how to get them to start eating.

I had a broody Pekin that successfully hatched out ducklings. Recently she became disinterested in them and they were abandoned after 8 days with her. I brought them inside into our brooder. It's only been a few hours but they don't seem interested in eating. Is this something the mother duck helps them with? Do I need to help them eat or will they figure it out?

View attachment 2755156
Okay, I will give it some time! They seem to understand the waterer but they just seem totally indifferent to the food. I'll give it a few more hours before I really start to panic :fl
Praying all goes well!

Back
Top Bottom