HELP! broody hen killed a chick! time sensitive!

I would let her and the chicks out of the crate inside the coop where they are to live. Try to empty the coop beforehand and block the others outside. Then watch how she is behaving. She should exit the crate with the chicks following. She should then start foraging and showing them where to get food and water. She also should viciously go after the other chickens outside who come near her chicks. If she seems to be protecting them and keeping them with her without pecking them, I would say you are good.

I have never kept a broody inside a dog crate for that long after hatching her chicks. Usually I open the gate on the 3 rd day once all chicks are hatched or I have candled eggs and tossed the ones that are not going to hatch.
she is not in the coop. so the other chickens have not seen her thru the bars. should i still try and put her in the coop with her chicks? the coop is pretty small and the run is below it (not a prefab, i built it) but i just moved a wall in my layers coop so there is an empty 12x4 space in their, but i have not started on an outside pen yet. (this will be the future bantam coop) so maybe i put her and the chicks in their and then try to get a temporary pen made outside?

If she has been out of the flock all that time, the others will probably attack her as well. So it might be best to put her and the chicks into the future bantam coop. In the future, it would be best to raise them inside the coop they will live in.
That was the plan, but the only cage I have that would fit in the coop was a very small one and I wanted to give her more space., but the new coop is much bigger and will acomódate the larger cage for future bantams. I put her in an old prefab for now. Hopefully that will keep her busy until I get the new coop and run
3C1388ED-FD7A-4525-ACD5-2C6E8DF3A5DF.jpeg
0AFD871D-593F-4E14-9E40-02569E1654C6.jpeg
27033BAB-E7CA-44BB-9396-579E2CE193D5.jpeg
ready. Then she will be the only one in their for a little bit and I will slowly add a hen at a time once the chicks get bigger to integrate them.

I think what happened is she grew accustomed to going outside in the playpen.
They would go in the play pen a few times a week, but they hadn’t been out in around 6 days, so she was trying to get out. Now she is perfectly content again pecking away on grass. When it’s nice I will attach a playpen and let her and her chicks out into a larger area during the day.

That little coop and run is barely big enough for the hen and her chicks, and they will outgrow it. Those always overestimate how many chickens can live in them. I doubt if you can add other in there. Are your other hens full aized or bantam?

Back
Top Bottom