Help!!!! Broody hen

Momma ash

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
South central Arkansas
My bantam aka " baby chick" (my kids named her lol) has been sitting on 4 eggs for a week. Only to have gotten off them for a few hours and they got cold. She is back on them now.. Is it possible they could still hatch?

Also she somehow added a new egg to her nest yesterday and is now sitting on it as well.. Should I remove it or just let it stay?

This is our first time being broody so I'm very new at this.

Thanks!!

I'd not worry too much. I have heard of many people who've had their hens get off for a few hours and then have 100% hatch rate. It depends on weather, stage of egg development, etc... you can always candle them in the next few days and that will probably give you an idea if they've made it.

My bantam aka " baby chick" (my kids named her lol) has been sitting on 4 eggs for a week. Only to have gotten off them for a few hours and they got cold. She is back on them now.. Is it possible they could still hatch?

Also she somehow added a new egg to her nest yesterday and is now sitting on it as well.. Should I remove it or just let it stay?

This is our first time being broody so I'm very new at this.

Thanks!!

welcome-byc.gif

I agree, they are probably just fine.............She knows what she is doing................
You might want to mark the eggs she has so you can remove any new ones she might steal.
One of my hens does that.tucks them right under her wing and takes them to her nest...............
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom