Help! Bully Chick

Another activity that I like to add is to grab a branch or two from the yard that has green leaves on it. Drop that in there and they will go nuts over this new food/toy. Of course, with this technically being a treat, do in moderation (I only add one branch per 1-2 days).

And yea, I would have to second the suggestion of trying to put up a divider in the brooder so they can see eachother but they can also escape eachother. Just peacefully existing together might do wonders for their attitude and they might just be able to re-integrated after a few days.

Can you fence off a separate section for just that chick, but still in full sight of the others?
I thought that would be easier on her as well. Just trying to figure out how to do it inside the same space, they pop around in there like little popcorn balls bouncing about so it would have to be floor to ceiling. Trying to figure out how to fit a separate entertainment area and food and water all in the same space too. We do live in Florida and it’s been consistently in the 80s every day. So I’m thinking about letting them out in the run now that they are pretty heavily feathered some during the day when we finish it up later this week. It may be easier to block off a section of that for her than it would be in the brooder.

I would try separating the bully but keeping her in sight of the others

Also just to note “prairie bluebell” is just another name for Easter egger so she’s the same breed as your other EEs
I suppose as those three are all Araucana hybrids. The difference would be the bluebell is specifically araucana/leghorn so they only lay blue and have higher production. From everything I’ve read seems like the more active tendency may come from the leghorn side hence the reason I differentiated.

Another activity that I like to add is to grab a branch or two from the yard that has green leaves on it. Drop that in there and they will go nuts over this new food/toy. Of course, with this technically being a treat, do in moderation (I only add one branch per 1-2 days).

And yea, I would have to second the suggestion of trying to put up a divider in the brooder so they can see eachother but they can also escape eachother. Just peacefully existing together might do wonders for their attitude and they might just be able to re-integrated after a few days.
Thank you, that’s helpful I’ll try that and see if they take to it!

I dig a clump of dirt and grass from the yard. The babies learn to scratch, eat and play in the clump. Then they figure out dust bathing! The dirt gets scattered and the grass gets destroyed. It also allows the babies to get exposed to the natural "germs" that reside in my yard. Cheap, easy fun for the fluffs.

They are so funny and turning into quite the fluff balls now that their legs heads and tails are coming in!
They will get very fluffy! Like this.
120ECEDA-764D-49E0-AD11-95683F5BA4EE.jpeg
AC77B35D-A48F-4BA8-BCC5-A45D072B689F.jpeg

be sure to trim around the eyes, and for great fertilization you might need to trim some bum fluff.

Last edited:
We do live in Florida and it’s been consistently in the 80s every day. So I’m thinking about letting them out in the run now that they are pretty heavily feathered some during the day when we finish it up later this week. It may be easier to block off a section of that for her than it would be in the brooder.
That'd be great - just being outside and exposed a new area, new smells and sounds, etc. might be enough of a distraction to help break her of her bad habit.

Back
Top Bottom