HELP! Bumblefoot on hen!

MollyAngel

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
So I went down to the coop this morning and I saw that Molly Pippa and Sylvia were all still on the roost. This is normal for Molly and Pippa (my sleeping beauties
roll.png
) but Sylvia is always one of the first hens outdoors in the morning. Upon further examination, Sylvia's left foot was swollen to about five times the size that it should be and it was about the size of a half-dollar. I was very worried, so I brought her up and fed her the favorite treats, bread and cheese. She wasn't limping badly, and seemed fine as she putted around the backyard. I had to put her back because of that whole school thing, but I'll check her later. Sorry but I don't have a pic right now! Here are the questions.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. She is just over one year old, I'm pretty sure that she is a NH Red and she is feeling normal weight-wise.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She has a swollen foot and wouldn't come off the roost until I took her down.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? She was fine last night, and this morning I noticed her foot swollen.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not that I know about.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Just the swollen foot is a little pink.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don't know, there isn't much she could've stepped on in the run...
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She ate lots this morning but I haven't seen her drink.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I fed her but had no idea on what else to do.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? It depends.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I will have one later.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use The same she has been living in since she was a baby!

Last edited:
Good luck, I hope her foot improves. I am not sure what you can do, other than watch and see if it goes down. It is good she seems to be acting normally.

Maybe someone will know if you should give her some anti-inflammatory meds?

I don't know, but we just found out it was an abcess. We pulled off the plug and soaked her feet for about 10 minutes, and now she is walking around outside.

Here are some pictures I took-

You can see here the swelling.

You can see the comparison of the swollen foot and the un-swollen one.

Here is the abcess, you can clearly see the plug.

Poor Sylvia almost passed out while we drained the blood from the abcess.
She has a bandage on her foot and is resting in the tractor with an apple and some cool water.

Last edited:
Thanks! She is all bandaged up and sleeping alone in the tractor. I'll keep posting on her progress.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, her swelling is down and we didn't bandage it again last night because it seemed to annoy her. Her foot wasn't any better this morning, but I'll soak it this afternoon. Thanks for all the help!

Sylvia is walking and eating with great intensity. She has laid a pair of eggs and has eaten the following food- apple, cheese, multiple rolls, scrambled eggs with cheese and as many grapes as she can fit in her little chicken body. I soaked her and we are looking for a dosage of penicillin or other antibiotic to give her. If anyone knows, please contribute the info, I can't find it!!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom