Help! Bumblefoot!!

Ama201

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2019
Can someone help me explain what Bumblefoot is and how to I help my chicken? My daughters are convinced our chicken has Bumblefoot bc it has a bubble on the top of her foot and on the bottom and she’s limping. It breaks my heart to see her limp. How can we help her?

Reneebee

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
I am by no means an expert. I have a hen who had Bumblefoot. It is usually an abscess that a callous eventually grows over it...keeping it from draining. I t is usually a staff infection. Can be caused by the foot getting injured on a sharp object. You can give 1/2 of a baby aspirin for comfort once a day. I did daily soaks in warm water with Epsom salts, and massaged the lump while in the water. I never saw anything come out, but she stopped limping and seems fine now. I soaked her for about 4 days, when she got better. Hope this helps.

Ama201

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2019
I am by no means an expert. I have a hen who had Bumblefoot. It is usually an abscess that a callous eventually grows over it...keeping it from draining. I t is usually a staff infection. Can be caused by the foot getting injured on a sharp object. You can give 1/2 of a baby aspirin for comfort once a day. I did daily soaks in warm water with Epsom salts, and massaged the lump while in the water. I never saw anything come out, but she stopped limping and seems fine now. I soaked her for about 4 days, when she got better. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this advice.. I appreciate your quick response! It’s so sad when your chickens get hurt.. I’ll try this today. Thank you!

Top Bottom