Help, Bumblefoot?

May_1

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2021
Here's her foot, it's only on one. Can someone let me know how severe it is and how long it'll take to heal? Also what ointment should I use?
IMG-20210920-WA0001.jpg

Here's her foot, it's only on one. Can someone let me know how severe it is and how long it'll take to heal? Also what ointment should I use?
View attachment 2839905
It doesn't look at it's worst yet. I would recommend you get epsom salt and mix it in with warm water and dip their foot in it for about an hour or 2. When it's moist enough you may try to peel it. It should take about 2-3 days to fully heal.

It doesn't look at it's worst yet. I would recommend you get epsom salt and mix it in with warm water and dip their foot in it for about an hour or 2. When it's moist enough you may try to peel it. It should take about 2-3 days to fully heal.
How do I keep her in it for an hour?

A soak for 5-10 minute period in an Epsom salt foot bath is sufficient. I honestly don't even do foot soaks and go straight to a quick rinse with some diluted chlorhexidine, I apply an antibiotic ointment, lightly wrap with 1" vet wrap and then I put on neoprene poultry boots for padding. I have used all different types of antibiotic ointment, but honestly my favorite is plain old Neosporin (not the type with pain medication). I prefer Neosporin because it keeps it coated better and softens up the bumble enough to pull the plug usually after 2-3 days of wrapping with just some tweezers. Keep them out of pools/ponds (I keep mine locked in their pen during treatment with another duck). Usually it takes about a week and my ducks are healed up and don't require any further treatment.

A soak for 5-10 minute period in an Epsom salt foot bath is sufficient.
I did that for one of my hens and it didn't work that well. I put at least 3 cups in the bucket too and it was a medium sized bucket. So maybe at least an hour or MAYBE 2

I did that for one of my hens and it didn't work that well. I put at least 3 cups in the bucket too and it was a medium sized bucket. So maybe at least an hour or MAYBE 2
It should take days of soaks and dressing before pulling at it to soften it up. No hen should be in the water for that long, unless a duck. But, that long of a time period could definitely stress any bird out.

Different stages of bumble foot require different lengths of treatment as well as severe cases where soaking and/or wraps are not sufficient alone without an oral antibiotic. Also proper wrapping, maintaining dry wraps that are changed daily, thoroughly coating with an antibiotic cream/solution and ensuring the foot is well padded with either a boot, cut out of foam, layer gauze or deep bedding all play a large part in how long the treatment lasts. I agree with Crazy Maizie that 1-2 hour long soaks would not only stressful for the duck, but seemingly both parties.

Different stages of bumble foot require different lengths of treatment as well as severe cases where soaking and/or wraps are not sufficient alone without an oral antibiotic. Also proper wrapping, maintaining dry wraps that are changed daily, thoroughly coating with an antibiotic cream/solution and ensuring the foot is well padded with either a boot, cut out of foam, layer gauze or deep bedding all play a large part in how long the treatment lasts. I agree with Crazy Maizie that 1-2 hour long soaks would not only stressful for the duck, but seemingly both parties.
Thank you! I may not be able to get ointment soon enough, is there something else I can use until then?

Back
Top Bottom