Help! Button quail female fluffed up.............

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
So I have a pair of 8-9 month of button quail. *Don't attack me for this* they live outside. They have a heater that is on full time, as well as several sheltered areas full of straw, as well as a canvas cover at night to keep heat in. They do JUST fine, in fact all winter they have been healthy and thriving. PLEASE no nasty comments,
I love my quail and would only care for them in the way I think is best. They are WAY happier outside with fresh air and a large hutch in my opinion. Anyways, yesterday I noticed the female was puffed up. She didn't eat as much as normal. I don't think it's the cold, it has been WAY colder and they are fine. Right now it's about 40-50 degrees. Today, she and the male took a while to come out from behind the heater, usually they are waiting by the door every morning. She is still puffed up, and walks around puffed up too. She is walking fine. She didn't eat but she did drink. I offered grit (sand) to them yesterday to be sure it wasn't a crop issue. I really doubt she is egg bound, she hasn't started laying yet bc of the natural light cycles she is accustomed to, living outside and the fact that it is cold and obviously winter. There are no eggs in the cage, and my chickens aren't laying yet either. So I really don't think she's laying. I feed them dried soldier fly larvae, millet, and all flock/gamebird crumbles. I rotate what I feed them every day. What can I do??

I mean I could post a pic but really she just looks normal but fluffed up, no other visible ailments. Their cage is quite large so can't tell about her poop, maybe I'll put down some more shavings so I can tell more easily. I would bring her in but last time I did (when the power went out and they had no heat) it was a huge stressor for them and they had to recover from it. A vet is not an option.........................

If you feel her, is her keel prominent? Does her crop feel squishy, full, or empty? If you check around her vent, is it clean? Can you feel an egg? Take a look at her feet as well, make sure they look clean and healthy.

Other than checking for injury and the symptoms above, keep an eye on her. It sounds like you're making sure she stays warm, but if you can be absolutely sure that she's warm that will help too.

So I have a pair of 8-9 month of button quail. *Don't attack me for this* they live outside. They have a heater that is on full time, as well as several sheltered areas full of straw, as well as a canvas cover at night to keep heat in. They do JUST fine, in fact all winter they have been healthy and thriving. PLEASE no nasty comments,
I love my quail and would only care for them in the way I think is best. They are WAY happier outside with fresh air and a large hutch in my opinion. Anyways, yesterday I noticed the female was puffed up. She didn't eat as much as normal. I don't think it's the cold, it has been WAY colder and they are fine. Right now it's about 40-50 degrees. Today, she and the male took a while to come out from behind the heater, usually they are waiting by the door every morning. She is still puffed up, and walks around puffed up too. She is walking fine. She didn't eat but she did drink. I offered grit (sand) to them yesterday to be sure it wasn't a crop issue. I really doubt she is egg bound, she hasn't started laying yet bc of the natural light cycles she is accustomed to, living outside and the fact that it is cold and obviously winter. There are no eggs in the cage, and my chickens aren't laying yet either. So I really don't think she's laying. I feed them dried soldier fly larvae, millet, and all flock/gamebird crumbles. I rotate what I feed them every day. What can I do??
mine are in the aviary with no supplemental heat so I don’t necessarily think that is your issue. I would check the things that nabiki suggested and you may consider adding electrolytes or nutridrench to their water to see if that helps

Back
Top Bottom