HELP CALL 911!!!!!! ( Graphic picture)

fdehaven

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Woodland, PA
44651_2011-07-02_17-09-17_649.jpg

This happen when I put my young chicks in with the older girls.
I put sav on it. And isolated her from any other chickens. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Quote:
I did separate them already. I'm all worried about this one.
If I keep sav on it will she survive?
Just not sure what to do.

Exact same thing happened to one of mine, she was *so* scared of me I couldn't even catch her to look her over good. I left her alone and she healed up just fine. I would have at least sprayed her with blukote so no one else pecked at her, but she was going to break her neck trying to get away from me.

Quote:
I did separate them already. I'm all worried about this one.
If I keep sav on it will she survive?
Just not sure what to do.

I had a dove that survived a scalping like that, we kept silverdine on it he survived and is named Custer...

This would be an extreme case of why it's not always a good idea to introduce younger birds to a flock. It is possible, but it involves figuring out an integration strategy that takes into account some elements chicken social and territorial behaviors and individual personalities--not just dropping the young ones in with the rest and hoping for the best.

I think your chicken could be fine--though perhaps a little scarred--as long as you keep the wound clean and keep the bird isolated for a while, in case others might want to peck at the wound. In my experience, chickens are very tough and can recover from wounds that might maim or kill a human. I once had a pullet that somehow tore the back of it's head wide open, quite deeply.
ep.gif
I nearly decided on the spot to put it down, but then decided instead to see how it went for a day or two. It acted as if nothing was wrong, went about it's business, and in a few days, I couldn't even tell which one it was that had the injury!

Best of luck to your little bird!
fl.gif

I have not found bluekote to be that helpful. It is too thin. Rooster Booster is good for the wound and has a nasty taste to it the other birds don't like.

I would also worry about flies laying eggs in the wound, which causes maggots. Can you put her in the house to get away from flies, and so she will not be stressed by the heat ?

The wound looks pretty nasty. If there is enough skin, a vet might be able to sew it up.

I have so very limited experience here, but do know that chicks, and chickens recover after what we consider severe injuries. I have two to attest too the fact.

I like wonder dust. It clots the injury, and heals it. Coats it so the others don't see the red. Yours seems pus filled, so I am going to leave it to the more experienced on this site. They have much more knowledge.

Good luck though...........

Back
Top Bottom